Credit Card Declined

Highlighted
Tourist
32 0 3

I have had three credit cards declined. I went to the section under Shopify Payments where it talks about credit card declines and the fact that some banks' fraudulent systems may reject purchases on my site. Do I need to call these credit card companies and find out if they are rejecting these purchases? If these three credit cards are being declined how many more will be? I am not in test mode...I am in live mode. Not sure what to do but I have had hits on my sites...no good if you can't purchase anything. Please help. If I have to call the credit card companies I guess I will but this concerns me. Could there be another reason for the declines? (the cards are good).

Thanks.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
102 0 14

Hi Beth!

I'm Maggie, a Shopify Guru. :)

While I'm not able to look into these abandoned carts for you from here, I can walk you through how to find the details on this. If you click on "Orders" > "Abandoned Checkouts" and then click on the order(s) that failed to go through, you'll see a timeline at the bottom. This will show you all of the details about the attempted payment and you should see an error message that will give you the reason why the transaction failed.

Generally speaking, these errors are on the customer's side. There are many reasons credit cards can be declined, such as insufficient funds, the customers has maxed their credit, or the customer's bank has a block on certain types of charges. The customer would have to check with their bank for the cause of the issue.

I hope this helps to explain what's going on. If you would like our support staff to take a look into these specific orders to ensure there is not a larger issue going on, you can contact support 24/7

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hey Beth, did you ever get to the bottom of this? We've been experiencing the same issue. And the do_not_honor code is very generic and doesn't tell me anything. Do the banks not see our Shopify business as trustworthy? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
138 14 45

Hi, @Gavin5511!

Sunny here and I'd be happy to help with this.

To make sure I understand the scope of the issue, can you please clarify a few things for me? The "do_not_honor" code that you're seeing, is this an error that your customers are seeing when trying to purchase from your shop or is this an error that you get when trying to pay for your monthly Shopify subscription?

Generally speaking, most credit card declines are generic, so unfortunately we don’t have much information as to why a charge was specifically declined. In all cases it's best for you to reach out to your bank (or for your customer's to reach out to theirs) for more information, as the banks will have a lot more insight than Shopify.

If you can share an example, including appropriate details, of a time you've dealt with this error code, I'd be happy to investigate this further for you!

Cheers,

Sunny

Sunny | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Sunny, 

I have this issue as well. 

The following is the "INFORMATION FROM THE GATEWAY" 

Code: card_declined
Decline Code: do_not_honor
Type: card_error

I'm assuming this is a card issue on the customer's side as you indicated above, but it would be great if you could confirm this!

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 2

i suggest you to talk with your bank or credit card companies regarding this issue, because there can be many factors, so no any answer can suit in all environment, after discussing with them, if you still have issue then please contact me, i will look it for you, and resolve this problem

Problem Solved?✔️Like and Accept the solution that can help others.
Need any help with theme customization or design? Hire us
Email: webcoder0001@yahoo.com
WhatsApp: +1 (402) 512-0065
PSD to Shopify | Shopify Design Changes | Shopify Custom Theme Development and Desing | Custom Modifications In to Shopify Theme | SEO & Digital Marketing | Shopify Apps Development

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I sell to customers who travel a lot and if they dont enter their billing address seperate from the ship to address it will fail due to address verification.  When this happens the customer gets a declined error that says 

Your payment could not be processed at this time, please try again in a few minutes.   

Instead of this generic error that wont help becuase they will keep making the same mistake by not entering the billing address that matches the credit card and then a seperate ship to address if its shipping to an address different than the billing.  Is it possible to change the error message to exactly what the issue is in the logs.  For example address missmatch,  Or zip code error,  Insuficient funds.  Ect...  

This way during checkout the customer sees what the error is and can correct it which helps make the checkout process a better experience and less work for both us and the customer which also results in less lost sales. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
13 0 0

Hi, I'm not sure how to create a post or how to contact shopify team. Can anyone help??

Customers' credit cards are getting declined on my store, what should I do now? I'm quite frustrated now! PLEASE HELP!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Can I use same credit card on another shopify website

0 Likes