Credit Card Saved Without My Permission

Solved
Carol237
2 0 0

I just purchased a product that apparently uses Shopify. And, apparently, Shopify has saved my credit card from a previous transaction, of which I was unaware.

My credit card has been hacked 6 times in two years. I would never have given permission to Shopify to save the number had I been aware that it was doing so. Was it buried in the terms and conditions?

Can I revoke any permission, assuming I gave one? Or should I just be sure never to use any vendor that uses the Shopify service?

Carol

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1006 91 236

Hi, @Carol237!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

It sounds like you have opted in to Shop Pay, which allows customers to save their information for a faster checkout experience the next time they purchase a product from a store hosted by Shopify. If you haven't heard of Shop Pay, it functions quite similarly to Google Pay or Apple Pay, but is specifically for Shopify stores. 

Shop Pay works by sending you a verification SMS once you enter your email address in the online checkout of a store hosted by Shopify. When you enter the verification code in the checkout, your stored data (billing and shipping addresses and credit card information) will be automatically populated in the checkout, saving you from having to enter this information manually.

To opt in to Shop Pay, you would have had to select the Save my information for a faster checkout during the checkout process. We also have a help doc on how to opt in to Shop Pay that further outlines how the opt in process works. 

If you no longer wish to use Shop Pay moving forward, then you can easily opt out here. Once that's done, your stored data will be completely deleted. 

I hope this helps clear things up. Let me know if you run into any issues opting out, or if you have any further questions!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Carol237
2 0 0
1. The opt-out link you gave me will not recognize my phone number as a
phone number

2. I can guarantee you that I never gave Shopify any kind of permission to
keep my credit card information. I have been hacked more times than I can
count...one time, while the replacement card was still in the sealed
envelope.
0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1006 91 236

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for following up, Carol! 

Since your phone number isn't recognized when trying to opt out of Shop Pay, it's safe to assume that you haven't previously opted in to Shop Pay in the first place. A phone number is required for Shop Pay, since the SMS verification text is needed in order for your credit card information to be automatically entered in the checkout. 

In this case, it sounds like your credit card information is being saved through your internet browser. This is quite common and can definitely be alarming if you have come across this for the first time. While this is something completely external to Shopify, I'd love to help you ensure that your credit card information isn't being saved through your internet browser. 

Which browser are you using? If you're using Google Chrome, then you can view, edit, and remove the payment information that Chrome has saved by following these instructions. If you are using Safari, then you'll want to view Apple's instructions on how to edit and remove this information here. Let me know if you aren't using either of these browsers and I can dig up some instructions that are relevant to you.

As a side note, it would be worth running an anti-virus check on your computer; since you mentioned that your credit card information was compromised while your replacement card was still sealed, there may be some vulnerabilities on your network or device. Your internet service provider may also be able to provide you with a few pointers, so feel free to reach out to them as well. 

Let me know how that goes!

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog