Cross promoting products

23 0 0
I know it would involve database changes to do it well, but it would be really nice if there were options to cross promote products. For example, using your sample of a snowboard store, if I was displaying the product page of a Burton snowboard, I'd also want to have a little section underneath or to the side to sell Burton bindings and boots to accompany it. This is a way of leaveraging more sales (since many people getting a board are also going to need the other stuff). I know it has the potential to get very complicated, but these kind of tweaks to the store model can really make the difference. I would bet that Amazon, with their "people buying this book also bought ...", see far greater sales as a result of such tactics.
0 Likes
26 0 0

This is something I would love to have, too.

0 Likes
7 0 0

Yes, this is a dealbreaker for me. I have a project where the base unit is designed to have guests purchase accessories based on their needs. I need to have 6+ add-ons and 6+ accessories.

The “Product variations” is a great feature! Nice one.

A huge component of a sales page is the cross-promotion of products and also the add-ons. i.e. Game Console and controller. An additional controller would be an add-on. A hat with the console brand would be a related product.

A combination of add-ons and related products are essential in most e-commerce environments. I may play with a workaround using tags and editing the template if I have time this week…

Anyone else make a hack?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
253 0 0

I’m also looking into some cross-promotional options. One of the cool features here is the ability to tag products, so using the tags to somehow display items related to the main product on the page might be the answer

Tobi, any way to do something like this?:

{% for product in tag.products limit:3 %}
    {{ tag.product.name }}
{% endfor %}

If something like that could pull 3 of the closest matching products with those tags, that could be the answer for cross-promotions. Especially if it could work off of cart.items on the cart page as well.

Cliff Spence
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2002 0 41

what do you mean by closest matching?

Tobias Lütke - Shopify CEO // http://twitter.com/tobi
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
253 0 0

Products with the most similar group of tags. The more tags the products have in common, the more likely they will be rendered.

Cliff Spence
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2002 0 41

The problem with this solution would be that its very hard to influence what goes where.

I think most people have a pretty good idea of which items they want grouped with which other products. Fiddeling with the tags until it is just right might be a rather frustrating experience.

There got to be a great solution out there for this kind of organization. its just waiting to be fund.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
253 0 0

I see. Related products is tough to do automatically, which is what made me think that using the existing tagging features would be a great solution.

Any way it could be done manually? For instance, on this product page you can see the related items manually added under the You may also like… section. That’s ultimately what I’m going for.

Cliff Spence
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2002 0 41

Well there is always the manual approach…

<a <1>>My shiny product</a> in the description text will be a link to a product with the handle my-shiny-product.

This reminds me. i really need to show the handles of stuff in the shopify admin somewhere.

There is a solution forming in my head to the problem you are describing. I’ll look at these advanced sale facilitating features in the future when i have my current todo list worked off.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2002 0 41

Uh. textile just bit me.

That weird

"My shiny product":my-shiny-product
0 Likes