Solved

Can I Customize Currency Conversion Rates in Shopify

Me238583
Visitor
3 0 1

Hello everyone.
I've one website in euros and I would like to convert the website in dollars for exemple but it convert automatically but I would for exemple customize the price., For exemple : 40 dollars to 39,99.... Can I do that because I really see nothing ....

Accepted Solution (1)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Me238583,

Thank you for getting in touch with your question. Do you want to change the currency on the store from EUR to USD permanently, or are you looking to offer both currencies on the store simultaneously?

If it's the former, let me know here and I can walk you through the process of changing the store's default currency from EUR to USD and the risks and considerations associated with this change. One of the potential problems of switching the store's currency is that prices do not convert from one currency to another, meaning you would need to manually enter in new price figures for the new currency on the store.

However, if what you're looking to do is keep EUR as the default currency whilst also offering USD as a currency option on the store, you have a couple of options. If you are eligible to use Shopify Payments, you can make use of the multi-currency feature the gateway offers. This would allow you to list prices in both USD and EUR, and customers can pay in either currency. However, if you choose this option, you cannot specify custom rounding rules unless you are a Plus merchant - currencies that can be accepted via Shopify Payments round the following ways:

19-11-g5ptz-y39j7

We can see here that prices listed in USD round up to the nearest dollar. This means, for example, if a €10 product directly converts to $11.08 USD, the price will be rounded up to $12 USD and this is what customers opting to pay in USD will be charged for the product.

A different option you have is using one of the many currency apps on the Shopify App Store, which work slightly differently from the multi-currency feature available through Shopify Payments. These apps allow you to display multiple currencies on the storefront, but at checkout the prices will still revert back to the default currency on your store. Some will, however, allow you to specify your own rounding rules, so you can specify how you would like prices to convert from EUR to USD on the storefront. An example of an app that allows this is Bold Multi-Currency, which is free to use.

I hope that I have helped explain your options here but please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 32 (32)

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @Me238583,

Thank you for getting in touch with your question. Do you want to change the currency on the store from EUR to USD permanently, or are you looking to offer both currencies on the store simultaneously?

If it's the former, let me know here and I can walk you through the process of changing the store's default currency from EUR to USD and the risks and considerations associated with this change. One of the potential problems of switching the store's currency is that prices do not convert from one currency to another, meaning you would need to manually enter in new price figures for the new currency on the store.

However, if what you're looking to do is keep EUR as the default currency whilst also offering USD as a currency option on the store, you have a couple of options. If you are eligible to use Shopify Payments, you can make use of the multi-currency feature the gateway offers. This would allow you to list prices in both USD and EUR, and customers can pay in either currency. However, if you choose this option, you cannot specify custom rounding rules unless you are a Plus merchant - currencies that can be accepted via Shopify Payments round the following ways:

19-11-g5ptz-y39j7

We can see here that prices listed in USD round up to the nearest dollar. This means, for example, if a €10 product directly converts to $11.08 USD, the price will be rounded up to $12 USD and this is what customers opting to pay in USD will be charged for the product.

A different option you have is using one of the many currency apps on the Shopify App Store, which work slightly differently from the multi-currency feature available through Shopify Payments. These apps allow you to display multiple currencies on the storefront, but at checkout the prices will still revert back to the default currency on your store. Some will, however, allow you to specify your own rounding rules, so you can specify how you would like prices to convert from EUR to USD on the storefront. An example of an app that allows this is Bold Multi-Currency, which is free to use.

I hope that I have helped explain your options here but please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

dymucreature
4 0 0

Greetings,   I would like to change my currency MYR from to USD. I have already done my first sale but that was only a test sale in MYR.   How do I go about this?   Thanks!

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @dymucreature,

Thank you for getting in touch! I will be able to help with this, but before I do please be aware that if you switch the currency on the store, prices will not convert in accordance with any exchange rate—the numerical figures will stay the same, but the currency will change. This will also apply to prices that are featured elsewhere in the store, including your reports.

If you'd still like to proceed, please let me know.

Kind regards,

dymucreature
4 0 0

Hi Victor,

Yes pls go ahead with it.

Pls do let me know once its done.

Thank you!

dymucreature
4 0 0

Hi @Victor 

Any update here?

Thanks!

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hey @dymucreature,

Apologies, I've just seen this last message! I will need to authenticate you before I can make this change, and to do that I'll have to continue this conversation over email. I'll be sending an email to the email address linked to your forums profile so please keep an eye out for that and get back to me there. Thank you!

Kind regards,

dymucreature
4 0 0

Hi Victor,

I did not see any email in my inbox.

Can you pls confirm if it was sent to dymucreature@gmail.com?

Thanks!

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @dymucreature,

Yes, I sent an email to that address last Wednesday. Please check your spam folder as it may have gone there. If you still can't see it, please let me know.

Kind regards,

NazarU
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello, can you help me to change store currency to EUR? I set my currency to USD when I created my shop, but now I understand that I only sell my goods ti Europeans, so I need to change default currency to EUR. When I try to reach support it throws me off the page!!!

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @NazarU,

Sure thing, but I will need to authenticate you over email to do this. I'll send you a message at the email address tied to your forums profile and we can go from there.

Kind regards,

impprinted
Tourist
3 0 1

Hi Victor.

I have the same issue. I want to change my default store currency to USD.

uah2.JPG

Would you help me, please?

Looking forward to get e-mail from you.

Regards,

Igor

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @impprinted,

Sure, no problem. I'll send you an email shortly to discuss the currency change with you.

Kind regards,

Kecë
Visitor
1 0 0

Hello victor.. I'm new on shopify and I registered using my country not the us and I would like to know if it affects my price listing and the currency in which I get paid 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @Kecë,

Welcome to Shopify! It's great to have you with us. Is this your first time selling online? What will you be selling on your store?

In terms of the country you registered from, can you tell me what country that is? Is this the same country where you live? I can answer your questions more efficiently once I have this information as your options in terms of getting paid in a certain currency will depend on where you and your business are based.

gavallen
7 0 0

hi.I want to change my currency to nz dollar asap if possible

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @gavallen,

If you want to change your store's currency but see that the option to do so is locked, then you will need to contact our support team and ask them to unlock this option for you.

zhorzh7
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, I need help, I want to add multiple currencies on my store, I cannot use shopify payments beacause i live in Belgium, can someone help me please?

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @zhorzh7,

The option to sell in multiple currencies is currently only available to merchants using Shopify Payments, so those in Belgium would not be able to have this option enabled as Shopify Payments is not available to Belgian-based merchants at this time. Your best alternative would be to use one of the many multi-currency apps available on the Shopify App Store, as these would still allow customers to browse your products and view their prices in their local currency, even if at checkout they pay in the default currency set for your store.

Kind regards,

jbrogaard
Tourist
4 0 0

Hi @Victor , regarding "If you are eligible to use Shopify Payments, you can make use of the multi-currency feature the gateway offers. This would allow you to list prices in both USD and EUR, and customers can pay in either currency. However, if you choose this option, you cannot specify custom rounding rules unless you are a Plus merchant".

conflicts with

"Custom rounding rules are available only on the Shopify, Advanced Shopify, and Shopify Plus plans." Found here: https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/payments/shopify-payments/multi-currency/conversions#rounding-rul...

? Thx.

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @jbrogaard,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention—I've checked this for you and does indeed seem that custom rounding rules can now be set by merchants on the Shopify and Advanced plans, along with Plus. 

Kind regards,

svig
Excursionist
24 0 4

You guys at Shopify recommend here Bold Multi-Currency ?? Sorry but :

1. it doesn't work : it does change and round the price in a new currency but at checkout everything is lost and the price goes back to currency shop, no difference with the standard currency converter built in Shopify, I have it in my theme for free !

2. It is not free, to keep the price at checkout stage you need their application or service called Cashier, and I realized this only AFTER installation ! Not fair at all...Complete loss of time imho

So please double check before promoting an app that doesn't do that is says fro free.

Actually, for countries where Shopify Payments is not available, it's my case, actually 98% of countries, there is no solution for multi-currency in Shopify, that's a shame !! Only way is for your payment gateway to propose multi-currency at checkout, it will match approximatively the price converted by the integrated currency converter because of the fees, but at least the customer can choose...

svig
Excursionist
24 0 4

Never got an answer...

yardenkoubi
Visitor
2 0 0

Hello Victor,

I would like to show 2 currencies option on my website. 

I already have my first order.

the 2 currencies I would like to show are: NIS (NEW ISRAELI SHEKEL) & USD (UNITED STATE DOLLAR).

I have tried to do it but I didn't succeed, please help me with it.

Best regards. Thank you.

Yarden Koubi 

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @yardenkoubi,

Thank you for getting in touch. You have the ability offer multiple currencies on your storefront by installing one of the many currency apps available on the Shopify App Store. This will allow customers to browse your products in a currency of their choice, but at checkout the prices will reset to the default currency you have set for your store.

Can you tell me in which country you are based in? Do you currently have the Israeli shekel or United States dollar set as the default currency for your store?

AlvaroVenegas
Visitor
1 0 0

Dear Victor,

I am having the same problem, Shopify is not allowing me to change my account from USD to Mexican Pesos. 

Could you help me?

Thank you and best regards,

Alvaro

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @AlvaroVenegas,

Are you looking to change your store's billing currency or your store's default currency? If it's the former, then this feature is not currently available to merchants in Mexico and all Shopify invoices must be paid in USD.

If you're looking to change your store's currency, which is the currency in which your product prices will be listed, then you can do so by heading to Settings > Store details and making a change in the "Store currency" section. This option will be locked if you have already made a sale on your store, meaning you will need to contact our support team directly and ask them to unlock this option for you.

P_F21
Tourist
9 0 0

Hello, 

Hopefully I've located the right board. I need assistance switch my store's currency. How can I do that?

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @P_F21,

The best thing to do is to contact our support team directly, as you can be pre-authenticated on the store and a member of our team can authorize the currency change for you. However, as you've posted here, I'll be happy to take a look at this for you. I'll be sending you an email shortly.

Kind regards,

P_F21
Tourist
9 0 0
Hi Victor,

Yes may you please have a look into it? I’ve had quite a difficult time
accessing help through the support team.

Thank you!
How long does the process usually take?

Best,
Perri
Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @P_F21,

I sent an email to you on Monday (3rd August), shortly after I replied to your message here. Please check your inbox and reply to me there. I sent the email to the email address tied to your forums account.

Kind regards,

P_F21
Tourist
9 0 0

Yes, I emailed you back but I got an auto response stating that I shouldn't respond to the email. I'll try again.

Thanks!

Victor
Shopify Staff
2422 225 517

Hi @P_F21,

I checked the ticket and can see my colleague Brie was able to help you out with this! Please respond to their latest email if you're still experiencing any issues or need further assistance with this.

Kind regards,