Solved

Currency Locked in - Need to Change Store Currency

ADavid
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi there,

I am trying to change my store currency to Naira instead of the default currency (USD). Unfortunately I can't. Please assist. Thanks.

Error message received:

"You've made your first sale, so you need to contact support if you want to change your currency".

In reality I haven't made my first sale yet. I was only testing the site and commenced 2 payments which weren't concluded.

Can you assist urgently please? Thanks. 

Accepted Solution (1)

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ADavid 

Sure thing! So if real payment has been accepted for an order (regardless if the payment was accepted fully or not) then our staff will need to help you further. Before you can change the currency, I'll need to let you know of a few things that might occur in your admin. The main impacts are:

Reporting
When changing currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 USD processing, that would show as $500 in reports. Say next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. So there's no clarification between certain currencies if the currency symbol is the same as before and since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward. You can, however, set a “date range” for the data they are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch. 
This should not apply of course to Naira but I'm mentioning this for future reference, in case you would like to change the currency again.

Product Pricing
Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. Ex - 20 Naira, is not equal to 20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.

Apps
Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing currency. If you would like to know if this will affect any of the apps you have listed on your store, you will need to reach out to the app developer directly for more info.

Gift Cards
Gift cards with remaining balances in the old selling currency will not work once the selling currency of the store has been changed.

Shipping
Any shipping rates for a store will maintain the previous currency and will not update automatically. After a currency change, you will need to delete the previous rates and add them back in manually to list them in their new currency.

Making any adjustments to your product pricing means that you'll need to consider the currency difference. You will also want to review your product pages, themes etc for currency information that might need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will be processed in the new currency.

If you would like for me to go ahead and make this change, please reply back to my email that I've sent you privately when you have a moment. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @ADavid 

Sure thing! So if real payment has been accepted for an order (regardless if the payment was accepted fully or not) then our staff will need to help you further. Before you can change the currency, I'll need to let you know of a few things that might occur in your admin. The main impacts are:

Reporting
When changing currencies, our reporting doesn't factor in the difference between currencies. So if you had $500 USD processing, that would show as $500 in reports. Say next day you switch to CAD, the report would still read as $500 for previous processing. So there's no clarification between certain currencies if the currency symbol is the same as before and since $1 CAD is not equal to $1 USD, the reports, in theory, will be wrong going forward. You can, however, set a “date range” for the data they are reviewing, to exclude any transactions that might have been processed in a different currency before the specific date of the currency switch. 
This should not apply of course to Naira but I'm mentioning this for future reference, in case you would like to change the currency again.

Product Pricing
Since the dollar amount between currencies is not the same, a product price’s value could mean something different if the currency is adjusted and impact your margins. Ex - 20 Naira, is not equal to 20 USD. Refunds processed after a currency change will also be affected by the currency change.

Apps
Some apps may have limitations when it comes to changing currency. If you would like to know if this will affect any of the apps you have listed on your store, you will need to reach out to the app developer directly for more info.

Gift Cards
Gift cards with remaining balances in the old selling currency will not work once the selling currency of the store has been changed.

Shipping
Any shipping rates for a store will maintain the previous currency and will not update automatically. After a currency change, you will need to delete the previous rates and add them back in manually to list them in their new currency.

Making any adjustments to your product pricing means that you'll need to consider the currency difference. You will also want to review your product pages, themes etc for currency information that might need to be adjusted. Note that refunds will be processed in the new currency.

If you would like for me to go ahead and make this change, please reply back to my email that I've sent you privately when you have a moment. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Many thanks,

ADavid
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Ted. Seen your email. Thanks for your help with this.

lovechidozie
Excursionist
18 5 3

Hi @Ted,

Can you help me change my currency as well? I made some sales but I need to change to USD currency asap. Please.

Best.

Ted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1255 115 137

Hi @lovechidozie,

Thanks for reaching out! Sure thing, I've just emailed you there if you could take a peek and reply back to me there so I can authenticate the account.

For anyone else who might be reading this, if you would like to change your store's currency but you have already made a sale, feel free to contact our support here or here for immediate assistance. 

Many thanks,