Custom Orders / Made to Order

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

Okay, so I've spent some time working on my "site" the past couple days. I just got around to finally checking out one of my migrated listings from Etsy, and there is nowhere to indicate processing times or anything like that.

Very little of what I do is pre-made. 95% of my products are made-to-order or custom, and processing times vary from about 3 days out to upwards of 8 weeks.

Is there any way to actually set this up with Shopify?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
641 41 93

Hi, there!

This is Ren from the Shopify Social Support team. This is a very good question as all custom/handmade businesses need a way to update their customers. We have a really good solution to this in the form of the app Statusy. This app enables you to create custom order statuses to keep your customers up-to-date as you go.

Statusy also allows you to create your own messages to fit your brand and integrates seamlessly with your store and your orders page. I hope this is a suitable solution!

It sounds like you are working towards launching soon. Have you thought about how you're going to market your goods?

I'd love to know more about what you create!

Let me know if I can help any further. I wish you all the best,

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

Hi Ren,

That might be workable.

So on product listings I create that are essentially a showcase for a made-to-order item, or as an example of a custom item, my recourse for processing time is to spell that out in the item description?

Just as reference, I made one of these large coat racks with cubbies for a customer a few months back. Processing time on something like this is likely around 4 to 8 weeks, depending on exactly when we have finished discussions and detailed any changes they would like.

https://orowoodworks.myshopify.com/products/walnut-coat-rack-with-cubbies-solid-hardwood-wall-mount-...

Since I don't pre-make these items (it would be very expensive and time-consuming to do so), would I simply write in the description that processing time ranges from 4-8 weeks, and of course also mention that hardware, dimensions, etc. can be changed for custom orders and that these changes will affect the final price?

Thanks!

Owen

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

Or, would you suggest that I make product listings like that only for my pre-made items, and then have other site pages showcasing custom and made-to-order items?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

I now have another question...

Some of my items are larger than their calculated shipping price would cover based on the weight. That coat rack, for example, was about 60 lbs, but because the box was 36" x 24" x 18", the UPS rate was for like 90 lbs, if I remember correctly. Should I just put the weight as 90 lbs. in order to actually cover the cost of shipping?

I can enter packages in my shipping settings, but there is nowhere within the product listing to specify which of those boxes it comes in.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
2388 120 375

@OROWoodworks wrote:

Or, would you suggest that I make product listings like that only for my pre-made items, and then have other site pages showcasing custom and made-to-order items?

What do YOU think would be best for you and your customers?

You should disclose the processing time upfront, possibly even requiring them to check an agreement box indicating they understand.

For an appless process the wait time is often stored either in a metafield,  or a product tag for prominent display outside of the description.

Another method is to make variants whose main option is the wait build time , this also works well if you want to offer expedited services

There's also the option of making the wait time part of the selection process:

https://help.shopify.com/en/themes/customization/products/variants/how-to-add-a-pick-an-option-to-dr...

So instead of pick an option you insert the lead time for that product.

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept and ? Like the solution so you can help others.
Buy me a coffee ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
Confused? Busy? Buy a custom solution paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

Thanks for the assistance. The processing time as a variant may be workable. I'll keep thinking about how best to go about this here on Shopify. I figured out one thing that was giving me a headache, as I only have minimal knowledge of web coding (only a fair bit of HTML and a tiny bit of PHP). It was bothering me that the product descriptions were underneath the buttons in the right hand column, and I figured out where to put the div code to get them under the item pictures.

Much better position!

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
641 41 93

This is an accepted solution.

Hi again, 

Another option for notifying customers of processing times could be the app Product Warnings on Checkout. You can set it up to display a custom pop-up before the item is added to the cart and basically add any message you'd like regarding production time, shipping, etc. It comes with an outstanding rating and a free version. Worth a shot! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 0

That one sounds very useful! Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 0

I do not believe the app Status.net is available anymore. Any other suggestions? I sell both made to order and pre-made items. Thanks so much!

0 Likes