Custom Text when Refunding Gone?!?

22 0 0

Hi Guys we really miss the feature of being able to add some custom text for the customer when processing the refund. It gave is the opportunity to explain what happened, apologise.. or add one line with a code for a small discount for each customer depending on the circumstance of the refund.

Now if we want to enter a unique message for the customer when processing a refund we have to edit the entire notification template, save the changes and then after we send the refund edit the notifictaion template back to how it was.

This is a huge step back for us and wasting a alot of my staff time..

Any chance you can put back the text box when sending refunds??

Thanks

Charles

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
658 61 129

Hey there, Charles.

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

I can totally see why you would want this feature back. While that’s something that is no longer available within our platform at the moment- I would like to thank you so much for your feedback. We do value all insights which allow us to better the services that we offer to all of our merchants.

I can understand how frustrating it must be to have to edit the refund notification e-mail each time you want to refund something. What I would recommend is instead e-mailing the customer from your e-mail explaining the refund and adding whatever apologies and discount codes you want right before you process the refund. 

What I will do from here is pass this info to our developers in the form of a feature request on your behalf so they will know that this feature is still sought after. 

Do also keep an eye out on our announcements page for all new feature releases too: https://www.shopify.ie/blog/topics/announcements

Thank you so much for this feedback, we appreciate it in all shapes and forms. 

All the Best,
Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 547

Hi Charles,

EDIT: My brain went AWOL and overengineered the whole lot - you can simply use metafields and include that in the refund notification template IIRC

You could do following (some creative thinking)

1. Create a "refund_customer_message" metafield on the order
  2. Setup webhook for refunds/create
  3. Fill in refund_customer_message field before making the refund
  4. Create refund via API making making sure that notify is false

Now in your webhook callback you retrieve the order metafield (the message you wanted to send to the customer) and paired with webhook's payload you can have your mailing service send the notification (won't work with Shopify's out of the box mail).

Would make for a good app, eh? :-D

Hope that helps even if yu don't end up using this approach.

I turn coffee in to code - since 1998
0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 547

btw @Shopify

I won't complain about API documentation in general, but sheesh, the refunds API is real bad! :-( And refunds in REST seem broken no matter what I post, I get 406's.

FYI

Best regards!

0 Likes
Highlighted
22 0 0

HI Karl,

What you wrote makes sense to me as Im not a complete technophobe, however.. I couldnt take on such a task myself. I will note down what you have written and give it to the small fella with pointy ears who works in our basement.. he does "coding" apparently.

My Wife and I are just horse riders who sell stuff for horses. :-)

Thanks

Charles

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 547

Actually, the method from my edited note using metafields and a modified email notification template for refunds would be very easy to do.

I'll try it out for curiousity's sake and report back.

p.s. Yes, I completely understand you and your wife. My wife just launched her store to sell her own handmade jewelry and needed my help with a few bits and pieces. Trying to help others here because it helps me learn and understand the Shopify platform so I can better serve my wife ;-)

Best wishes!

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1843 172 547

Hi Charles,

Fell asleep on the train, but finally had a chance to have a go at this. Turns out it really is easy and works well in my opinion even though it adds a few steps (only because the metafields apps are.... well... )

Anyways, here's what I did:

1. Pick a metafields app from the app store. Maybe you're already using one. I tried a few free ones and stuck with Metafields Manager by HulkApps (disclaimer: not affiliated with them, but theirs hurt me less than others).
  2. Now edit your notification email template for order refunds by going to Settings > Notifications > Order refund and then paste following snippet of code right below the line that has <p>{{ email_body }}</p>

{% assign customer_note = order.metafields.refunds.customer_note %}
    {% unless customer_note == blank %}
    <p>{{ customer_note }}</p>
    {% endunless %}

3. Now setup your metafield by clicking through to Apps > Free Metafields Manager by HulkApps > Orders. Your mileage may vary depending what metafield app you chose. Pick the order you want to refund (beware that paid and fulfilled orders are archived and not visible here so you'd need to unarchive the order beforehand)
  4. Create new metafield with following
    1. namespace is refunds (always use tha value for refund notes)
    2. key is customer_note (always use that value for refund notes)
    3. type is string (always use that for refund notes)
    4. value is whatever you wish to write to your customer
  5. Refund your order
  6. Rejoice

Hope that helps and good fortunes with your business!

0 Likes