Solved

Customer Accounts Will Not Show Up

redclover
Visitor
3 0 2

The option to create a customer account will not show up.  I have the "customer account" as optimal, but there is no option.  Is there something I have to do?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution (1)
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for sharing that @Chiita. I took a look in my test store and you can edit the wording for this to make it work. 

If you take these steps to change the language (wording):

Store Admin > Online store > Themes > Actions > Edit Languages and then put "Sign in link label" in the search bar, it should take you to this: 

20-08-i7x7e-dbggd

Here you can change what it says to fit what you want. Here's an example: 

20-08-99re4-8km27

or even this: 

06_38-ww57x-ybs37

@FireTech the same should apply in your theme settings as you are using a Shopify theme. 

Would this work for you both? 

The checkout can't be edited so this would be the closest workaround for this. 

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 27 (27)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @redclover,

Nick here from Shopify. 

Do you mean the option for you to create a customer account in your admin won't show up? 

19-06-7hnce-zihex

Or do you mean the option for a customer themselves to create their own accounts on the public front of your store?

If you want your customer to be able to set up their own on your storefront you would need to enable it in your store admin. You can do that by taking the following steps. 

19-06-oiwiq-kjo7j

Could you let me know where the option isn't showing up for you and if either of the above help? 

All the best, Nick

redclover
Visitor
3 0 2

The option for a customer themselves to create their own accounts on the checkout does not exist.  I have it as optional, but it does not show up at all.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

That does seem quite strange @redclover.

Would you be able to list your store URL in a reply to me here please and I can take a look at it and see myself, please? Without seeing the store it's difficult to troubleshoot why this might be happening. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

RNDesigns
Tourist
6 0 0

I also am having this issue.  When a customer goes to checkout, they are only directed to a login but not a place to create a new account.  They would have to go back to the home page and create their account there, then go back to the shopping cart to continue.  I don’t think this will be intuitive for people.  I may consider the option of doing check out as a guest until there’s a fix for this.

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @RNDesigns,

Would you be able to share a link URL for your store please and I can look into this for you? 

Are you looking to have a place for customers to create an account outside of having to purchase something from the store also? Let me know! 

RNDesigns
Tourist
6 0 0
Yes it’s rebeccanoeldesigns.com
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

I took a look and saw that customers can still create an account login from the checkout area you are referring to. You can see it in the screenshot:

20-04-tjy9f-5lvjc

Is this the page you meant?

RNDesigns
Tourist
6 0 0
So they can login but most people will be creating a new account- where is the option for that at checkout?
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Thanks @RNDesigns, the reason it is structured like this is just how the theme was built, but it is something that can be modified. The Shopify theme support team could look into applying for you if you'd like that? If so, I can reach out to you directly about getting this process started. I wouldn't know how to do this personally and it will involve some code editing. Let me know! 

RNDesigns
Tourist
6 0 0
Yes, that would be great. I've seen so many comments about this in the
community, it should be standard to have "create new account " right under
login for checkout!
Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @RNDesigns,

I have emailed you about this directly. If for any reason you didn't receive it, please let me know in a reply here. 

Dan_Nistor
Shopify Partner
41 1 8

We would also need this on power shop. Can Shopify let people set up password when we opt in for "Accounts are optional" ?

Kind regards,
Dan

Dan from Vevol Media - Shopify Partners Since 2018
--
• Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
• Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

Chiita
Excursionist
25 0 3

Hi, i have the same problem, that is at the check out page there is only option to 'Log in' rather than 'Log in or Sign up', are you able to help me?

THANKS

Chiita_0-1594813804454.png

FireTech
Tourist
4 0 1

Just adding another "us too" to this thread. https://store.firetech.com/

When shopping, the "Log in or Create Account" option is at the top of our screen, but once the customer goes to Check Out, the only option is to "Log in" or complete the check out process. It seems that many online stores offer to create an account after check out, so that all their information is already populated for their account. Would love to see this feature updated.

Thank you!

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @Chiita, could you share a link to your store for a closer look, please? If you could also say which theme you are using it would be very helpful to troubleshoot and look into this further. 

@FireTech, could you let me know which theme you are using, please? 

The reason I am asking which theme you are both using is because each theme is different so this is more than likely a theme dependent matter. By knowing which theme you are using, it will help narrow down and figure this out much quicker and the next steps to figuring this out for you. 

FireTech
Tourist
4 0 1

@Nick we are using Minimal - although I have turned off customer accounts currently, as it was causing our customers confusion in other way. Thanks for the help!

Chiita
Excursionist
25 0 3

Hi Nick,

this is our website: https://www.topofthedogs.co.uk/.

It is at the check out page: 

Chiita_0-1596634009915.png

Thank you

Regards

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Thanks for sharing that @Chiita. I took a look in my test store and you can edit the wording for this to make it work. 

If you take these steps to change the language (wording):

Store Admin > Online store > Themes > Actions > Edit Languages and then put "Sign in link label" in the search bar, it should take you to this: 

20-08-i7x7e-dbggd

Here you can change what it says to fit what you want. Here's an example: 

20-08-99re4-8km27

or even this: 

06_38-ww57x-ybs37

@FireTech the same should apply in your theme settings as you are using a Shopify theme. 

Would this work for you both? 

The checkout can't be edited so this would be the closest workaround for this. 

blaiski
Visitor
2 0 1

Thank you @Nick !

This is very helpful. I'm also had the same issue... 

IGpipreneur
Visitor
1 0 0

i can fix this. send me your info

RNDesigns
Tourist
6 0 0
Oh it’s way up there.... I wonder if this is something Shopify can do differently. Seems confusing. Most places when you have to create an account, the info to create new account is right underneath login.
RNDesigns
Tourist
6 0 0
i have had one order so far on my new site and it confused her
Abhishek101
Visitor
2 0 0

New customers are unable to sign up (create accounts) on our website Mindplan.in. Customer account is set to optional still its not working.  Need URGENT support on this. Please.

New Customers unable to create accountsNew Customers unable to create accounts

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Hi @Abhishek101,

What is exactly happening when someone tries to sign up? Is there an Error message that comes up or does it just not process it at all? If you could let me know and how you applied the customer login. For example, are you doing it via an app or through the theme directly? 

@Dan_Nistor, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by power shop. Could you elaborate for me, please? Yes when you send them an invite to sign up for an account they'll receive an email prompting them to create their own password. You can see the Shopify help guide on this with more information here.  

Dan_Nistor
Shopify Partner
41 1 8

Sorry @Nick , I wanted to say "our".  If we want the customer to be able to sing up on the checkout page they should have an option for this, or somehow the data to be prefilled for this reason. The little text "Log-in" does not help...

Dan from Vevol Media - Shopify Partners Since 2018
--
• Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
• Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

Thanks for getting back to me @Dan_Nistor. Could you take a screenshot and show me which page of the checkout you mean exactly also please? There are couple of different pages which someone could call the checkout so it's not always clear exactly where. Once I know exactly where you mean and what theme you are using, it will definitely help determine the next steps in order for you on this. Looking forward to hearing from you!

WorldOfVariety
Visitor
1 0 0

Sir For me Customer accounts option is not showing as in your second screen shot