Why is the customer address duplicating in my order process?

NAGATEJA
Visitor
3 0 3

Hello,

I am new to Shopify. My question was when I placing order with registered customer with default address.
Once order created successfully in Shopify. When I check the customer address I am seeing duplicate address.

Step's Wise Flow:
1)Register as a new customer in Shopify frontend with default address.
2)Place an order with the same customer.
3)Go back to customer address screen you will see duplicate address.

Can any one please let me know the cause or I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Replies 3 (3)

yuvrajjain
Shopify Expert
11 0 2

Hey!

I found the same issue in my store, how you fixed it?

Thanks.

Sr. Shopify Developer
NAGATEJA
Visitor
3 0 3

Hi Yuvrajjain,

Still I did not found any fix for this. I am still waiting for the solution.

Thanks,

gabripaz
Shopify Partner
7 0 4

Hi Nagateja, I had the same issue and asked the support, here is their answer:
"Based on the information you provided, it seems that the behavior you are experiencing is expected. When creating an order with a different shipping address than the default address of the customer, it should not change the default address of the customer or duplicate the address.

If you keep generating orders to non-default addresses in Shopify, the system will create new addresses and set them as the default for the customer. Shopify assumes that any generation of orders to a new address is a deliberate action by the customer, and thus sets it as the default option going forward.

Although Shopify allows multiple addresses for each customer in their address management system, only one can be set as the default. This default address is used for all future orders unless the customer specifies a new address during checkout.

Therefore, it is expected for new addresses to be created and set as the default if you continue to generate orders to non-default addresses in Shopify. You can visit this article about Managing customers and use as your reference.

"