Customer Eligibility

soccer-views
Excursionist
17 0 3

Hi - I have a group of customers to which I want to assign a discount code. 

While I understand how to assign the code, how does the customer, when he arrives at my site, log in as "customer" . . . 

I'd like to test this with a different email address, but do not know where to start, as I don't see a "customer login" field anywhere. Is there an app for this, or?

Thanks in advance for help! Karen

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
968 71 259

Hi, @soccer-views

Rae here from the Shopify team. Thanks for reaching out with this question! 

In order for customers to be able to login on your site, customer accounts must be enabled. To edit the settings on your store to allow for this, please login to your Shopify admin and select 'Settings > Checkout'. In the 'Customer accounts'  section you can then choose to make customer accounts optional or required. We have more details on this process here

Once customers can create accounts, you'll be able to set up a discount code and set the 'Customer eligibility'  to apply to specific customers, or customer groups, as outlined here.

Since you're hoping for your discount to apply to a group of customers, I wanted to include some details on how to create a customer group. To do this, just follow these steps: 

1. Login to your Shopify admin and click on 'Customers'
  2. Start a new search, or filter your customer list, so that only customers within your new group are showing. You may need to add several filters to ensure every applicable customer is pulled into your search. 
  3. Click 'Save filters'
  4. In the 'Save as'  box, enter in a name for this new group of customers. 
  5. Click 'Save filters'  again to save this customer group. This will create a tab for this group at the top of your customers list on the 'Customers'  page of your Shopify admin. 

What type of customer group and discount code are you trying to create? Do you have any plans to advertise your discount code, and encourage more customers to sign up for accounts on your site? I'd love to hear more about your plans, and help discuss some marketing options further! 

In the meantime though, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about these processes, or adding them to your store. 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
UFooFighters
Tourist
6 0 4

hey there! im trying to create a 10% discount for registered accounts only on their first purchase.

which customer eligibility should i check? email subscribers or new?

i dont want unregistered customers to avail the discount. is that possible?

thanks!

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
968 71 259

Hi, @UFooFighters

I appreciate you reaching out in this thread with this question, and I'm happy to help out! 

To clarify, will you be sharing this promotion somewhere on your site to let customers know that they need to create an account before they can use this discount code?

If so, then when you create the discount code, you can set the 'Customer eligibility' to 'Specific groups of customers', and then select the 'New' option. That way, all new customers will be able to receive this discount, not just email subscribers. In addition to this, under 'Usage limits', I also suggest using 'Limit to one use per customer' as this will ensure customers can't use this discount on multiple different orders. 

If you would like all customers checking out on your site to have a customer account, you can make these mandatory by following these steps

It's also important to mention that when customers create an account on your site, this doesn't necessarily mean that they are subscribed to your newsletter. Rather, a customer account gives customers a password-protected login on your site, and helps track their order history, as well as the status of any current orders. You can read more about this here. In order to allow customers to sign up for your newsletter though, you'll need to have a signup option on your site that customers can use. 

Let me know if this helps, or if you have further questions about setting up this discount code, and I'll be glad to continue lending a hand!

0 Likes
UFooFighters
Tourist
6 0 4

Thanks for your help! I got it! I was trying to achieve that only registered accounts can avail the discount code. At the same time, guests can still access my website, and order and avail other discounts. But, I also read in other discussions that it depends on your theme. Was that right?

0 Likes
Rae
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
968 71 259

Hi, @UFooFighters

I'm glad to hear you have this set up correctly now! 

If you have customer accounts set to 'optional' in the 'Settings > Checkout' section of your Shopify admin, this means that customers don't have to create an account to visit your store and checkout. However, if customers do create this account, they will be able to receive the discount code you set up. You can check out more information on how optional customer accounts work here

In terms of your question about the theme, can you tell me a bit more about the setup you read about in other discussions, and how the theme was impacted? Can you also please clarify which theme you're using at the moment? You can find this information in your Shopify admin under 'Online store > Themes > Current theme'

Keep me posted! 

0 Likes