Can I provide customer incentives on order forms in Shopify?

paintdit
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi! 

I am looking to offer a customer incentive in my order forms. What I mean by this is, when a customer checks off a certain box/option while they're placing their order, I would like for there to be a specific amount subtracted from the total.

So for example, if a customer's total is $20, and they check off a box in their order form that gives them a discount, I would like for total to automatically be discounted when they take this action. Therefore, if by checking the box, we promise them a $5 discount, then the total would just automatically become $15 when they click checkout. 

If I can get some help on how I can incorporate this for my store, that would be great! 🙂

Replies 3 (3)

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @paintdit!

I'm Miles from the Social Care team at Shopify. Thanks for reaching out. You've got a very interesting idea there, that's for sure. I'd love to understand a bit more about this in order to help you out, but for now, I'll work to the assumption that you'd like all customers to receive this discount.

I recommend the use of a discount code or automatic discounts. Discounts are a great incentive for customers and have been proven to help boost your sales. Shopify offers a built-in discount service where you can create discount codes and automatic discounts. Based on your needs, I recommend using the automatic discount option. With automated discounts, you can create a percentage, fixed amount, or buy X get Y automatic discounts. When setting these up, you can choose certain items, collections or the whole store to apply the discount.

To set up a discount, follow these steps:

1. From your Shopify admin, go to "discounts" and click "create discount" then "automatic discount".
  2. In the Automatic discount section, enter a name for the automatic discount. For example, 15offnecklaces.
  3. In the Types section, select Percentage or Fixed amount.
  4. Under Discount value, enter a monetary or percentage value for the discount.
  5. In the applies to section, select what this discount will apply to. i.e. all products, specific collections, or specific products.
  6. Optional: If you're creating a fixed amount automatic discount that can be applied to specific products or collections, then you can check only apply the discount once per order to limit the number of times the discount will apply. Otherwise, the discount applies to all eligible products in the order.
  7. Set a minimum requirement for the discount:
    • Minimum purchase amount requires customers to spend a minimum amount to qualify for the discount.
    • Minimum quantity of items requires customers to order a minimum number of products to qualify for the discount.
  8. Use the calendar in the Active dates section to set the start date for the discount. If you want to set an end date for the discount, then click Set end date and use the calendar to choose when the discount will end.
  9. Click Save discount.

To help you further, I recommend checking out Shopify Compass. Shopify Compass provides you with webinars and courses on things like store design, marketing and more. It's 100% free for everyone and new content is being added all the time. One course in particular I would suggest starting with is our 5 ways you can use discounts to increase sales.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

paintdit
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Miles, thanks for your reply and the info you provided!

So I think that's where the confusion is, I don't necessarily want the discount to be provided through a code like "GET10OFF" OR "SALE15". It's more so to do with when the customer is filling out their options when placing an order. I want the order form to have a box where the customer can click on it and from there, they would get an automatic discount at the end of their purchase, no code required. 

So basically, the discount would automatically be subtracted from the total without having to input anymore info, just by checking a box on the order form.

Hope this helps in clarifying what I am trying to do!

-The Paintdit Team

Miles
Shopify Staff (Retired)
480 68 156

Hi, @paintdit!

Thanks for getting back to me to clarify your needs. At the moment, I don't know of a way to implement exactly what you're looking to do, but I do want to clarify what automated discounts are.

Automated discounts aren't required to use codes. They are applied automatically at the checkout and can be labelled anything you want. I'll walk you through an example of how this could look and be implemented below.

1. Create the products you want the incentive added to.
  2. Head over to discounts and create an automatic discount. In my example, I'll call it "Customer Incentive". Once you've entered all the details, click Save.

The only caveat to this is that customer would not be able to choose a tick box as you suggested. To resolve this, you might wish to add a variant to each product you'd like discounted to enable the automated discount.

To do this follow these steps:

1. Navigate to each product you'd like to offer the incentive to and add a new variant. This could be called "Would you like $10 off your purchase?" or anything you'd like.
  2. Add in a "Yes" and a "No" option and mark them at the same price.
  3. Next, create the automated discount again, but only add in the "Yes" variant of each product instead of the whole product.

If you choose to use this method, here's an example of how the automated discount could be set up.

I've also made this video which will show you what it would look like from a customer viewpoint.

If you have any questions or need anything clarified, please let me know.

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.