Customer Refund Notification Email

Highlighted
Excursionist
51 0 7

Used to be that when our customers got a notification that they received a refund, they also received, in the same notification, the reason for the refund.  Now they only get a notification that they got a refund but if we want to let them know why we gave them a refund, we have to send them a separate email.  It used to not be like this but for some reason Shopify changed this more than a year ago.   99 out of 100 times I issue a refund, I need to tell the customer why.

Over a year ago a Shopify Guru told me that this was going to be fixed. It never was. It literally makes ZERO sense why this feature was removed. We still have the dialogue box that let's us put a reason for the refund, but for some stupid reason, it's only for the shop owner's eyes. 

SHOPIFY, CAN YOU PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

Hey, @Cary_Silverman!

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with the refund notification email not including the refund reasoning. While I can't speak to the conversation you had, I do know this use to be a feature when processing a refund specifically; however, is now tied to the order cancellation process instead. When refunding the order, the "reason" field is for internal use to help provide notes on why the refund was processed. If you were to cancel the order instead (which also allows you to refund the order at the same time), then you'll have the option to provide a reason that can be sent to the customer:

20-06-ash1t-x9m2e

As long as a reason is selected, the option "send a notification to the customer" is ticked, and you haven't modified your "order cancelled" notification template, then your customer should be provided with the cancellation reason:

20-06-g7p78-dil93

Let me know if you have any questions.

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
51 0 7

Why on earth are you talking to me about "order cancellation notifications"?

That literally had absolutely NOTHING to do with what I was asking and the part of your response where you addressed the "refund notification", you simply repeated what I already said.  Just because we issue a refund, it doesn't mean that the order was cancelled.  In fact, refunds I issue are shipping or partial order refunds 99% of the time, NOT order cancellations.

So Peter, can you answer the question I actually asked?  Can you guys or will you guys fix the "refund notification" so we can issue a refund and inform the customer the reason, without sending a separate email, like we used to be able to do?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1234 76 269

@Cary_Silverman 

Thank you for the additional context on your current refund process. Based on the information you had initially provided, I had made the assumption that when you're refunding the orders, you'd also be cancelling them which I believed the solution I provided helps resolve your question. Apologies for that! I can't say whether bringing back the feature to email customers when issuing a partial or full refund is on the roadmap; however, I have sent this up as a feature request so our teams are aware its a wanted feature. They review feedback daily; if this is something we can readd to the platform then they will take the appropriate steps to get this added in a future update.

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
51 0 7

Whatever

0 Likes