Customer Refund

Solved
thermals
2 0 0

Hi,

Both my customer and I are from Singapore. My customer's order was cancelled on 15 may 2021, but to date, she has not received any refund to her credit card.

May I ask: typically how long is the refund process before the amount is refunded to customer's credit card?

Thank you!

Joy

0 Likes
June
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
152 38 26

Hi @thermals

June here from Shopify. Thanks so much for getting in touch!

Typically when an order is refunded, we can expect it to take 5-10 business days for those funds to be credited back to the customer. That said, if the order was cancelled within up to 10 days of purchase, it's also not uncommon for the charge to be reversed, in which case your customer will not see the amount credited, but instead they'll see the original authorized charge removed altogether.

Just to be sure that we're on track for either of those expected behaviours, I'd love to confirm a couple of details in your order Timeline if you don't mind! You'll find this towards the bottom of your admin's order page.

• Does your timeline state that those funds were refunded back to the original method of payment?
  • Click on that note in your timeline. What payment provider is listed under Gateway? (e.g. Shopify Payments, PayPal, etc.)

Let me know what you find!

June | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

thermals
2 0 0

Yes. The refund was via the original visa card payment. And the gateway listed is "Shopify Payments".

0 Likes
June
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
152 38 26

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @thermals

Awesome, thanks for those details! ​

Given that the order was cancelled only in the last few days, we can still expect to see either a refund or reversal processed within the time frame I shared. If for any reason that is not the case, could you please contact our support team via our Help Center so that we can retrieve the ARN (or Acquirer Reference Number)? This number will confirm that a refund has been issued and can be shared with your customer's bank. Bear in mind this will only be available after a minimum of 10 business days have passed since the order cancellation date.

In the meantime, please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions!

georgiepeters24
7 0 0

We typically see it takes 5-10 business days.

0 Likes
June
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
152 38 26

Okay perfect. This is definitely what we can expect to see so I would recommend clarifying that timeline to your customer so that there is no confusion on their end. 

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!