Customer Registration Problem: "Email has already been taken"

Highlighted
1 0 0

I recently enabled Preferences>Checkout & Payment>Customer Checkout Settings>Guest checkout with optional sign-in

The problem is that if a customer actually tries to create an account (and they've previously purchased something from us before the customer registration feature was enabled) they get an error message of "Email has already been taken". Presumably this is because their email account already exists in our customer records but they have not yet created an actual customer account. 

Aside from being confusing, this prevents our loyal customers from being able to create an account.

Is there a workaround or other way to deal with this?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm having the same problem - can a guru help please? 

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I am also having this same problem and would love some feedback on what I need to do to fix this.  I recently added a "gift card" feature and in order for customers to see how much they have left on their cards, they need to be able to login.  But if they've already ordered from us before the Customer Registration settings were activated, then they're "email has already been taken".  Kind of obnoxious.  Any help would be most appreciated.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
98 0 24

do anyone else have the same problem?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

I found a little bit of a work-around for any of you that are interested:

I've copy and pasted below the pertinent information for our questions, but here's the link to the entire article on the Shopify wiki:

http://wiki.shopify.com/Customer_Accounts

To create an account for an existing customer:
  • select the customer in question and go to the Customer Details page.
  • Select the Send Account Invite link.
  • A lightbox with a draft invite email will be shown, which you can review and send.
  • Once the customer receives the email, they can click on the activation link, which will direct them to enter a password for their account.

Image:/upload/thumb/1/12/Customer account show.png/700px-Customer account show.png

Once an account is active, the customer will be able to use their email/password to log in when they encounter the customer login screen during checkout.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

I just ran into this issue while creating a manual order. I simply entered the customer without an email address, then added their email address to the existing order before I saved it. Seems to have worked just fine. 

0 Likes