Customer Searching for the wrong items.

Tourist
22 0 2

In my store, finishingtouchez.com, the most searched thing is shoes. Everywhere around the store, it clearly says that i sell jewellery and only jewellery. So how can this be?

0 Likes
Excursionist
24 0 4

I too have been getting this the last few days, customers are searching for brand names such as Timberland and Northface in my shop.  My shop isn't a clothing shop of any kind.  Very strange indeed.

0 Likes
Tourist
22 0 2

I know right?

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2400 163 352

Hi @ft_x,

Nick here from Shopify. 

This does sound very strange. I'm wondering does your brand resemble another brand in any form? 

Without seeing the back admin of your store or if you have done any advertising or SEO it's difficult to tell why this might be. From what I gather, it doesn't seem to be an error on the Shopify side of things and could just be a customer error. Have you done any advertising or SEO at all? 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
22 0 2

I know why this was happening. It was because my homepage meta description was quite vague, instead of writing 'the best jewellery' i wrote 'the best accessories'. After doing a little research i found out that shoes are accessories whereas i always thought they were apparel. Thanks.

@Nick wrote:

Hi @ft_x,

Nick here from Shopify. 

This does sound very strange. I'm wondering does your brand resemble another brand in any form? 

Without seeing the back admin of your store or if you have done any advertising or SEO it's difficult to tell why this might be. From what I gather, it doesn't seem to be an error on the Shopify side of things and could just be a customer error. Have you done any advertising or SEO at all? 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

All the best, Nick

1 Like
Excursionist
24 0 4

My website is www.poppyscrafts.co.uk

my items are handmade car accessories such as steering wheel covers, on my dashboard it states customers in the last 7 days have been searching for 'Vans' 'Fendi' 'Dickies' 'Daelim' 'Timberland' and 'Fucidin' So quite a strange variety of items to look for and none of these things would be linked to my website in any way whatsoever lol

I advertise alot and use Seo and have been running my website for a number of years, but never seen people searching for random items like this on my website before.

0 Likes
Community Manager
Community Manager
2400 163 352

Ah ok @ft_x, that is good to know. In many ways, it often comes down to semantics. I would have put shoes under apparel also. Great to hear you now know this and can make the changes moving forward. Hopefully, you will see some more appropriate searches in the future. 

@Poppys-Crafts  I can definitely see what you mean. I'm wondering could it be who you are advertising to in your ads and your SEO. There might be a portion of that audience who are interested in brands such as the ones you mentioned? 

Nick | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes