Customer account email verification

maxk98
1 0 0

I am in the process of testing my website for proper operations before I launch my store. I ran into a problem with the verification emails when a customer signs up. To elaborate, I am using the debut theme on my Shopify website. I had a Klaviyo rep test out my website and she was prompted with the message "We have sent an email to ... please click the link included to verify your email address." Image attached below for reference. When I tested the website on my system, through different browsers, I was never prompted to verify my email. I had a Shopify rep test my website as well and the same experience as me; unable to verify email address. The only notification I receive when signing up is the "Customer Account Welcome" email. How can I fix this inconsistency so that customers verify their email after signing up? Thank youunnamed.png

0 Likes
ShafiqNewbie
Tourist
5 0 1

Hello, i'm looking for this customer account verification. How you enable this on your store? Please help me as i'm new to Shopify and i really need customer to verify their email address before they proceed with login.

swphang
Tourist
4 0 1

Yeah agree, i also need my store customer to verify their email account before they can sign in. Else anyone can sign up with a fake email.

Technologic
2 0 4

Having the same issue and this response does not resolve it. The issue is not that the email is sent and not being received. The issue is that there is an additional step of having to confirm email before making an account. This slows down the processes and will dramatically reduce account creation. Normally the customer is logged in before receiving the email, but this is suddenly happening on one of my stores. Is this a setting or something that can be controlled within the theme construction? 

Elle
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1018 74 165

Hi, everyone

Allow me to explain the difference between "Welcome" emails vs "Activation" emails and when they will be sent. 

Unless your store has customized email notifications, customers receive one of two emails when creating account:

1. Newly created customer accounts receive a customer account welcome email which provides a link to the store.

2. If they are an existing customer (e.g. they’ve previously made a purchase, signed up for the newsletter, abandoned a checkout, or were captured as a customer in another way, but didn’t create an account), they will receive a customer account activation email. The customer must click the special link in the email in order to activate the account. Once the account is activated, the customer will receive the Customer account welcome email.

If you have any feedback on how these emails are handled, let me know and I will bring your feedback directly to our developers. 

Thanks!

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

mediale
1 0 2

Hi Elle,

it would be incredible useful if we have the option to enable the activation email for all new customer registrations.

So that they do not directly receive the welcome email but first need to confirm their email in the activation email.

This has been asked a lot by many people already as it is a very basic function for many ecommerce stores (and a default option in many other shop builders) 

Is there any chance we could get that feature in the future? 

All the best,
Jakob

HowToCuisine
Tourist
4 0 1

I am surprised that Shopify does not provide this very basic functionality. 

Anyone can create 1000 accounts using fake emails without this basic email validation security step. 

When will Shopify implement this feature?

0 Likes
Elle
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1018 74 165

Hi @mediale 

There is absolutely a chance of this feature being implemented!

I will continue to share all feedback presented in this thread with our developers directly, so they can take it into consideration for future product iterations. 

You can keep an eye on our changelog for all product updates. 

Elle | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

maxoys45
Excursionist
12 0 3

When they've finished creating robots and setting up their own banking system - All very important features for an e-commerce platform..... ha........ HA...... HAHAHA :|

0 Likes
btcloth
1 0 0

Hi, has there been any update on this? 

0 Likes