Customer name overwritten by order billing address name

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

When an order is placed by a customer, his account name (first name + last name) is overwritten by the name associated with the billing address selected during checkout, which means that the next time he navigates to the account page he sees that name instead of his own.

Is there a way to disable that behaviour?

This is a problem, since some of our customers are placing orders with someone else's address (to send as gift), and they are using the same address as the billing address.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
31 0 4

Hi Gerardo,

Jana here from the Shopify Guru team :)

You can add an additional field for the Billing address by going to Settings > Checkout and then scrolling down to the Order Processing section. 

From there you will see a tick-box that says Use the shipping address as the billing address by default - if you deselect this option a second address field will be added to your checkout :)

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me for any clarification by replying to this post, or if you have any other questions at all!

Cheers,

Jana A. | Shopify Guru
support@shopify.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Jana,

Thanks for your response.

I know about the checkbox you mentioned, but that won't really solve the problem.

The actual behaviour I would like to have changed is the account name being overwritten by the name associated with the billing address selected during checkout.

Because we offer payment methods that don't rely on Shopify's billing address, and customers don't really care about the information that will appear on their bill, they are choosing to use the shipping address as the billing address, regardless of the fields that appear. And when they do, the shipping address name indirectly ends up overwritting the account name.

I hope I was able to explain the problem a little better.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
207 0 15

Hello Gerardo,

Brandon here from the Shopify Guru Team :)

Thanks for the clarification!  This is an issue that we are aware of and our dev team is working on getting it fixed.  At this time there isn't a work around besides the customer entering in their actual name the next time they place their order, which will update their account again.

Thanks for posting!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Any updates on when there will be a fix? I've overwritten any customer facing information for now through matafields.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

This is killing me and it's messing up all my mailchimp zaps. We serioulsy need to be able to create a customer name that doesn't change everytime a customer makes a purchase. Our customers are the kids of the people paying the bills and I find us sending out info that is very female oriented to Bob, Bill, and George, and then my customer's actual name is gone forever. It makes us look very unprofessional. What do we have to do to get a field called "Contestant's Name" that doesn't change unless the contestant changes it herself? And a Note is worthless since no outside applications can query of it. This is a serious problem that doesn't seem that difficult to fix on Shopify's end, yet I am finding years of post with people having the saem problem. HELP!

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Any updates on this? We are having similar issue. We don't use Shopify for shipping - more for order entry. Every time a customer submits and order, their default address changes to the billing address (leaving off company name, phone number and other fields).

Based on the above, this has been a known issue for nearly (more than?) a year.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
4 0 0

Hi mstiv, I also haven't been able to find a fix to this and am curious about your metafields workaround.  Would you mind sharing how you set that up?  Thanks!

Hope there's a fix for this soon.

Nathan

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 2

This issue still seems to be occuring for us.

Shipping address first name is replacing the main account name after the order is created.

Any updates?

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Aug 2020....Just converted our company to Shopify. This is happening to us too. It is causing very big headaches and issues.  We setup the Customer with the name of their retail store. Then when we send them the link to pay the invoice, they type in their name on their credit card and pay. The account is now updated with their personal name and has overwritten the retail store account name.

Please help.

0 Likes