Customer opened charge back on me

jonathan993
Tourist
4 0 0

Hello Shopify community 

A customer recently purchased an item from me but withheld some info before purchasing. Now that it has arrived to him it turns out the item wont fit according to him because he as modified the underneath of his car which according to him causes the fitment issue. I told him that I cant take the return as there was nothing wrong with my product as shown from the pictures he sent but instead the problem was his modification to his car prior to purchasing the item. 

Now he has opened a charge back on me claiming the item is damaged or defective and wants a full refund. Shopify as credited the buyers financial institution and Im left to fight this chargeback claim.

Now my question is

1. Will the buyer have to return the item back to me

2. Does the buyer have to pay return shipping in chargeback cases

3. Is there a point in even fighting it.

0 Likes
Aria
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
845 33 291

Hey, @jonathan993!

Aria here, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

I'm sorry you're having this experience, chargebacks are always frustrating.

The customer's card issuer is responsible for the chargeback and they won't force him to return the item. You can ask him to return it but unfortunately, there is not much you can do if he chooses not to. It's up to you if you offer to cover the cost of return shipping which might increase the chances he will co-operate.

Yes, I definitely think you should fight it. How did you communicate with the customer? If you have any written communication proving the things you have mentioned, include all of it! Highlight everything that backs up your claim. If you can prove he is lying to his card issuer about the item being defective, you have a chance of winning this. Include all dates and times when things were discussed.

This guide explains in more detail how to manage chargebacks.

Let me know if you have more questions. I hope it gets resolved in your favour.

Aria | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
jonathan993
Tourist
4 0 0

I Have 5 screenshots of our email convo to back up my claim but it only lets me upload one. How do i upload more information? 

0 Likes
Jason_Beacon
Shopify Partner
163 5 24

@jonathan993 

You can just combine all the screenshots into one file. Be sure to highlight the points that say the customer received the item. Otherwise, you might also want to see if the postal service have any type of insurance that might cover your base.

Decrease fraudulent orders, stop chargebacks and expand globally with Beacon. https://apps.shopify.com/beacon
0 Likes