Customer's phone number field does not appear when a customer is created from orders or draft.

Tourist
5 0 1

Hello,
  In my shop we use pos and the online version of shopify so there are times when you need to capture an order for a new customer, in the new order we select create new customer, but there does not appear the phone number field. Is there any way within orders to make that field appear?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
320 30 52

Hi, @Brabas!

This is May from Shopify.

You should be able to add your customer's phone number, even when you create a new customer account from draft order. If you go to 'Orders > Create order', under 'Find or create customer > Create new customer', the phone number field should appear under the shipping section.

If you are on mobile and using the Shopify app, this phone number field should appear under 'Address'.

Let me know if this helps! If this is not what you are after, or if you see a different screen than the screenshots above, please let me know and we can continue with our support.

Cheers!

May

May | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

That field is different from the customer's phone. When I select that client from Shopify POS, their phone number does not appear, so if I want to send SMS, I must capture a new phone number, even if it is already in the shipping address.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
320 30 52

Hi again, @Brabas!

Thank you for clarifying. 

It looks like you are referring to the 'Contact Information' section on your POS. 

Unlike the typical customer registration, creating a new customer from draft order would bring up a different contact form that doesn't include a phone number. The phone number is only asked for in the admin when shipping is included so it can be referenced on the shipping label, it is also asked for in the POS for SMS receipts. The draft order however rely predominantly on email, making it not critical to include a phone number on this form.

In your case, however, since you do your business both online and on the POS app, I can see how having a phone number for draft order customers can be very helpful. I would like to pass this feedback to our developers, and submit a feature request on your behalf. To give them more context, do you mind giving me an example of when you would need text a customer that was created from a draft order? 

Kind regards.

0 Likes
Tourist
5 0 1

We are starting to use the POS system in the physical store. When a customer requests a product in the physical store, the employee who attended it creates a draft if the customer does not exist is captured in the web admin, when the customer goes to pay, the employee who makes the payments uses the POS terminal to create a order and send the purchase notification with sms and email.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
320 30 52

Hi, @Brabas!

Thank you for the clarification. I've gone ahead and sent your request to our developers for further review so they can look into adding this in the future. In the mean time, if a customer account is created from draft order, their contact phone number will need to be added manually, or complete account creation will need to be done under 'Customers' section in the admin. 

Thank you very much for your feedback, I do hope we can see this field added in the future. If you're eager to follow the most recent updates on Shopify, you can check out our changelogPlease let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

May.

0 Likes
2 0 0

i have the same issue, is it solved? 

0 Likes