Customer signups with random alpabet as user name

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 2

Hi,

I notice today that there are a few strange customer signups everyday into my shop. The customer name is some random alphabet like this "ctgqZfQdiUkLjrzu oGmeHNYxaM" with a seemingly valid email address. I only notice it because someone with that valid email address wrote an email telling me it is an inactive email and he never signed up. When I check all customers, this random names signups seems to start about 2 months ago. 

I hope this is not some kind of hacking attempts. 

Can someone please advise what is happening or where I can seek help on this.

Thanks in advance for any help provided!

Best Regards,

Alex

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
700 74 126

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @alexluk!

Lulu here from the Shopify Support team. Thanks for reaching out here, and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Unfortunately, as with many 'Newsletters' or 'Contact Us' forms, there are spam messages and customers that can come through. While there is no way to entirely block the bots that create these emails currently, on Shopify, a Captcha is set to appear on both your newsletter and contact form signups when there are two submissions done from the same IP address within 24 hours.

There are also some apps you can take a look at to help reduce the number of spam messages that you receive.

1. Zero Spam reCaptcha Contact Form
2. Emailable

3. Shop protector

A lot of the apps offer free trials so you can give them a go before committing to them. 

There are also a few third-party options you can integrate into your contact page that are quite popular: 

1. Wufoo
2. jotForm

To be honest, there isn't a way that can block out spambots entirely. There are a few more methods you may want to try if you are fluent with codings. Here is a great thread on how you can add basic Captcha on your blog. Another useful guide to follow is here

Lastly, if you'd prefer skipping Captcha and reCaptcha methods altogether, there is also a popular method called Honeypot Trap technique. The basic idea behind it is that you code a blank space in your contact form hidden from normal users. The bots will fill it out thinking it's part of your form, then you get to capture the bots and block their IPs. The best thing about this technique is that you are not relying on customers to click or fill out forms to distinguish themselves away from bots. You are actively using coding to trap bots and blocking them away. There are multiple resources online. Here is a great guide on Honeypot Trap

I hope this helps but If you have any questions feel free to reach back out!

Kind regards,

Lulu

Lulu | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 1 2

Thanks Lulu! Understood now. Will research for the right solution for us.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Is there a way to have this show up all the time on any of your register or contact forms? I'm getting a lot of new customer accounts being created with the same garbled contact name and a seemingly legit email address.

Surely the whole point of recaptcha is to stop the bots from being able to do this?

It's the default signup form on Shopify minimal theme so surely there is a solution for this from Shopify!?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
11 1 5

Hi Lulu,

Wonder if you could help / advise here..

We are getting a lot of abandoned cart listing by one person - he uses the name John Smith (hey original uh?!!) - he is putting 10-20 items in the site cart every day since the 15th April 2020 and each time he uses a different gmail email address...most are johnsmith(#)@gmail,com where (#) is a different number every time. He gives an address that is always the same; Buckingham Palace, London (hey, this guys bright!!).

What can we do to stop this from happening?

The issue is that it is sku'ing the site stats and looks like we have a bad conversion from our abandoned cart!

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Russ

0 Likes