How to resolve customer checkout error on ecommerce site?

Ebrahim1
Tourist
4 0 2

Hello everyone

One of my customers has reported the following error message while trying to checkout:

The total of your order has changed. Please review the order summary before you continue. 

Does anyone have a similar experience? How was the issue resolved? 

Replies 16 (16)

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hey, Ebrahim.

Lizzy here, I’m a Shopify support Guru.

This error typically appears if something in the cart has been adjusted when the customer reaches the checkout. They should be able to complete their checkout after reviewing their cart. Was this customer unable to checkout after doing that?

If they weren't able to purchase and would still like to complete their order, you can send them a draft order invoice in the meantime. This page explains how to do that!

Is it possible that you were editing products while the customer was shopping? That can sometimes cause this notice to appear. I've also seen this when a customer has something in their cart which has become out of stock before they made it to the checkout.

It can also appear if you're using a product options app that allows a customer to add more items to their cart than are available in stock. Do any of theses possibilities sound like what your customer experienced?

Thank you,
Lizzy

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Ebrahim1
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Lizzy 

Thanks for your advice. But I don't believe any of these cases is relevant here. The products are not out of stock and they were not edited while she was shopping. She has tried twice, reducing the number of items in her basket and she got the same message. Can you explain more about the draft order invoice? The link you provided is not working. Thanks.

Ebrahim1
Tourist
4 0 2

Hi Lizzy 

Thanks for your advice. But I don't believe any of these cases is relevant here. The products are not out of stock and they were not edited while she was shopping. She has tried twice, reducing the number of items in her basket and she got the same message. Can you explain more about the draft order invoice? The link you provided is not working. Thanks.

Lizzy
Shopify Staff (Retired)
469 57 178

Hi, @Ebrahim1.

Thank you for letting me know! I apologize for the broken link. This is the page I was linking to, I've also fixed it in my previous post. 

If you'd like to share you store URL here I could test the checkout to look for other possible causes of the error your customer has been seeing. I also wanted to ask you if you've been able to replicate the error on your end, or if you've had any other customers mention something similar?

Thank you,

Lizzy

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Isdinjo
Visitor
1 0 0
Our customers can't check out as this message appears to them "Your order total has changed"
How can we solve this problem
I've read the previous comments
Non of what you've said is in this case
How can we solve it ?
Kailin_Noivo
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hey! We had a client with a similar issue. 

Email me at kailin@noibu.com and I could let you know what they did 🙂 

Thanks,

Kailin 

Cheryl_Rapp
Tourist
4 0 16

We are also having issues at check out.  Customers are unable to advance to payment and often cannot add a shipping address which is resulting in abandoned carts.  Several customers have exited, re-entered the order only to have the same problem.  Please advise

Kailin_Noivo
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hey! I suggest you email me directly at kailin@noibu.com, I founded a company www.noibu.com helps you find checkout errors so you can get them solved. 

Would be happy to help, just reach out direct 🙂 

bcarlson2020
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi there,

I am new to Shopify, I have tried a  few times to do a test run checkout on my computer and it keeps going to a broken page and tells me to try again. I can see that I have traffic coming into my store but I think people are having issues at checkout, can someone help me with this?

Take care,

Bridget

Kailin_Noivo
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi Bridget! 

Please email me at kailin@noibu.com with your website. 

Best,

Kailin 

Cheryl_Rapp
Tourist
4 0 16
This is an ongoing issue with Shopify

Kailin_Noivo
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

Hi, I just saw this now. Where you able to identify what caused the error? 

dphighland
Tourist
6 0 4

We are experiencing the same issue on our cart. It appears this problem has become more prevalent this year. We are not updating quantity, product or anything else however, our customer has Shopify+ and we are using a $(document).on("page:load page:change" function to add some custom html in the checkout.liquid. I am not sure what is causing this error and it seems even regular Shopify users (not +) are experiencing this as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

image.png

Kailin_Noivo
Shopify Partner
5 0 0

We have some clients that were experiencing the exact same thing. What's the website URL?

dphighland
Tourist
6 0 4

Prefer not to disclose at this time.
You said "were" experiencing. Were you able to get this issue fixed?

Emmalu1111
Tourist
10 0 0

Hi Lizzy, maybe you could answer my question too. am having the same issue yesterday a customer went to checkout and his payment was rejected so am wondering what could be the issue. I tried checking out too and got the same error. 

I also noticed that certain products in the cart cannot be shipped to usa but when I tried latin America, it gives no error.

Am having this issue a lot even with the shopify plan and the payment gateway setup correctly, I dont know what the issue is.