Customers not checking out.

Jlscott0731
2 0 0

My customers haven’t been able to check out. I’ve got lots of abandoned carts, missed a bunch of sales, and spent a whole bunch on marketing when my customers can’t even buy anything! I’ve selected my plan, I’m not in the free trial any more, so they should be able to check out. Why can’t they?!

0 Likes
Gratefulocity
Tourist
4 0 0

Have you tried to do a test run yourself by trying to check out? Are you (or the customers) getting a specific error message? Have you set up shipping rules in Settings?  I had similar issue and discovered you have to "activate" each individual app you are using to import product (Oberlo, Spocket, AliExpress, etc), maybe it is the same with you.  

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1212 71 154

Hi there @Jlscott0731!

Don here from Shopify.

Thanks for letting us know about your concern here on our Community forums.

While a certain amount of abandoned checkouts is to be expected when selling online, I'd like to confirm a few things with you here to see if there's a particular reason for these.

Firstly, can you confirm which payment gateway options you have set up for your customers and if you have tested those options yourself to ensure they're set up okay?

Next, is there any info in the Orders > Abandoned checkouts menu about why these orders were not completed?

There may not be specific info there depending on the circumstances, but if you could check there and relay any info back here that might help us out.

Finally, for now, have you had specific reports from your customers at all about their not being able to check out or why that might be happening?

It would help our investigation here if we can determine if all of your customers encounter an issue, only some of them or if there is nothing preventing them from checking out and they simply decide not to proceed.

The more information you can give us here the better we will be able to understand and help out.

I look forward to working on this with you!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Jlscott0731
2 0 0
All of my checkouts methods it says are working. Only express check out
works though. I’ve got lots of abandoned checkouts and a cyst emailed me
asking about an order, but no order was put in place.

0 Likes
Don
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1212 71 154

Hi again @Jlscott0731!

Don from Shopify once again.

Thanks for that info.

If you could confirm the specific payment gateway or gateways you are using and whether you have tested them yourself to confirm they are working-as-intended, that would be great! 

When you took a look at the abandoned checkouts in your admin, was there any info there about why they were abandoned?

In cases where there is an issue with payment, there may be some messaging there about why that specific order did not go through.

There are sometimes cases where the use of an external (offsite) gateway where a customer navigates away from or closes the browser window connecting with that gateway before it is able to send the full data back to Shopify, leading to an abandoned checkout in Shopify even though the order is completed via that gateway.

Confirming the gateway(s) you are using and if they're direct (onsite) or otherwise will help us to dig into this together.

Did the customer who contacted you describe any sort of difficulty they encountered while trying to check out?

The more we know about the situation the more likely we'll be able to determine if there's any sort of issue here or if these carts are just being abandoned in the normal course of e-commerce.

Would you have looked into how you might be able to recover these abandoned carts and convert them into potential orders?

Let me know as much as you can of the above-requested info so we can determine what might be happening here.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes