Customers pay more for shipping than I do

theplannerspot
4 0 0

Hello,

When I go to print shipping labels, I notice that alot of my customers paid more for shipping than I am paying for the labels. Does anyone know why this would be? I don't want my customers think I'm trying to overcharge them for shipping.

Thanks,

sam

Replies 2 (2)

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Hey @theplannerspot,

Finley from Shopify here. Thanks for your question!

Are you using Shopify shipping to print your labels from your Shopify admin?

If not, and you're instead using a third-party app for shipping, you'll want to reach out to their support team to confirm how their app calculates the shipping costs your customers pay vs the shipping labels you're paying for.

Printing shipping labels with Shopify shipping

After an order is placed, you'll be able to print a Shopify shipping label, as long as your business is located in the United States, Canada, or Australia.

When you print a label, you can select which box you'll use to ship the order.

If you select a box that is smaller than your default box, or you have a higher flat rate, you would pay less for the label than what your customers paid you for shipping.

If you're offering calculated rates

If you're offering Shopify shipping's calculated rates at the checkout, the amount that your customers pay for shipping will be determined by the weight of your product(s), the dimensional weight of your default package, and the shipping carrier selected.

You can double-check your product details to ensure the weight of each product has been entered correctly.

You'll also want to ensure that your default package's dimensional weight is one that would work best for most of the orders placed on your website.

The dimensional weight can be adjusted under your Shopify Admin > Settings > Shipping and delivery > Packages > Saved packages > Edit like so:

20-09-ghhuh-8gh0c.

With calculated rates, you're also able to discount your shipping rate by a flat fee or by a percentage of the total shipping rate by editing the handling fee. Alternatively, if the rates were too low to cover your packaging costs, you could at an additional fee.

If you have flat rates or free shipping

If you're using a flat rate or offer free shipping, you can adjust these rates to something that would work better for your business and customers.

You can adjust this under your Shopify Admin > Settings > Shipping and delivery> Manage rates > Rate name > Edit rate

Third-party apps

If it's important for you to be able to assign different box sizes to different products, instead of having customers pay based on the default box size, you can have a look at some third-party apps on the app store such as:

If anything is unclear or there is something I haven't touched on, please let me know and I'll be happy to clarify.

Cheers,

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Sharon-Reeds
Trailblazer
126 6 27

Hey @Finley,

Thanks so much for recommending Intuitive Shipping - we really appreciate it! 🙂 

-Sharon 

Co-Founder / CEO @ Intuitive Shipping Inc.
Intuitive Shipping | Smart Boxing | Automate Shipping Profiles