Customization Add On Charges for Product

jdashley
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Hello All. I am trying to create customization options for only a handful of products in a store. These products will offer four different monogram options with an upcharge for each to the base product. We don't want to use variants to the base product because we don't want any potential discounts on the base product to affect the charge for the monogram. The monogram options and charges should be separate.

I understand that there is a way to do this by making the monogram options a separate product that can be inserted into the base product page. There seems to be many references in the support forums addressing this solution but I can't find a clear method or tutorial on how to achieve it. I do know that we don't want to use an app, and I have reached out to Shopify Experts, but I haven't heard back from the two people that responded to my initial inquiry.

Example:

Base Product - $20

Monogram Option 1 - $15

Monogram Option 2 - $15

Monogram Option 3 - $15

Monogram Option 4 - $20

Base Product + Monogram Option 3 = $35 order total (showing up as two separate products in the cart)

If we had a 10% discount, it would apply to only the $20 Base Product price.

This site does it very well, and I found the reference through the support forums, but nothing about how to achieve it. (Modal not necessary for us, although it is very nice).

LINK TO SITE 

Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @jdashley,

Thank you for reaching out and for outlining your current situation. What you're looking to achieve would be possible via variants but as you mentioned, any discounts would therefore apply to the entire product and not just the base price of the product, so I can understand why you're wanting to avoid this option.

May I ask why you are against using an app? There are apps that offer this functionality, such as Bold Product Options and Infinite Options. These apps do come with a monthly charge, but often using apps proves to be cheaper in comparison to hiring a developer to create this feature for you, and are usually easier to configure and use. That said, as you've reached out to some Shopify Experts, you can wait and see what you are quoted for this sort of work. I can't comment on how exactly the site you linked achieved this on their store, but it could well have been coded into their theme by a developer.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

jdashley
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Thank you for your response, @Victor. For one, I'm trying to minimize monthly charges using apps for the client. They will need others as well. I have considered Infinite Options but leaving that as a plan b for now.

Ultimately, as a developer somewhat new but learning the ins and outs of Shopify, I want to know how to do it properly without an app as this will likely be a situation that I will come across again. Based on what I've researched, this seems to be a situation that can be solved without one and I would just like to know how to do it. :)

0 Likes
Victor
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
886 78 219

Hi @jdashley,

Okay, I see. Thank you for explaining your rationale behind this request.

Using an app is the easiest option, but if you do employ the help of a Shopify Expert you can ask them to detail what code changes they made to achieve this functionality; this would then hopefully allow you to replicate this on other stores once you know which edits are required. This is not something natively available in the Shopify platform so either an app or custom code changes would be required.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

Victor | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
annabom
Tourist
6 0 0

Hello! 

I am working on the same thing as you are, did you find any solution for doing it yourself without an app?

0 Likes
jdashley
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Sadly no. I ended up using Infinite Options which luckily the client was happy to add and provides incredible support. Please add another response here if you ever do figure it out. I would absolutely love to know how to do it.

Best of luck!

mgranger
2 0 0

Did either of you figure this out.  I would like to figure this out as well.

0 Likes
jdashley
Shopify Partner
7 0 3

Nothing yet but I stopped trying after I set up Infinite Options. If I do ever try again I will certainly update this thread.

0 Likes