Customize theme on local

Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

Hello,

I just export a theme and would like to customize* this theme on local and import the new theme in the future.
How can I do that ?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
588 79 109

Hi, @01familia,

Hank here from Shopify.

While I would only be able to advise of how to customize your theme within the admin, having a working knowledge of Liquid, would be required to be able to write any customizations.

Can you tell me a bit more about what you are trying to do and I may be able to share some resources here? For example, if you share your store URL, the theme you are trying to edit, or any additional context, that will help the community,

Then once you have done that, hopefully, someone with more technical skills in the community will come across this and be able to add some value to you here, but if not, your best bet might be to reach out to one of our Shopify Experts, who you can hire to do almost any custom work on your store. If you were to reach out to them about this query, they would be able to resolve this issue for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
12 0 1

Hello Hank and thank you for your fast reply.

I already create a Shopify Shop so I know liquid language. 

Actually, if I want to edit the code and I must go in the Shop Admin and Use the Shopify code editor:

Example:

Screen Shot 2020-08-05 at 18.10.42.png

It's possible to export and import shopify theme.

So I want to know how can I develop and test on local. And after import my theme ?
I don't want to use the shopify code editor, I want to work on local and use Visual Studio Code (then test and import my theme).

Thank you

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
588 79 109

I spoke with our theme developers who advised that it would be possible to download the file and use a code editor like Notepad++ etc to make edits, but there is no way to test your edits without having the theme on the store in the admin.

There is probably some way you could set up a local host that mimics Shopify, but that would be a major task outside of our support range and something that the likes of the Shopify Experts may be able to provide assistance with. 

Also something noteworthy, the final theme would be considered customized so could not avail of support from your theme developers in the future if you require any custom edits.

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes