Customs Clearance Fee

Solved

Hey guys,

I have another business where I'm importing a consumer electronic. I ordered a sample and was charged a customs clearance fee by DHL.

My question is, how do I handle this for my customers? Will I have to pay a customs clearance fee every single time a customer's product arrives at their destination? Will my customers have to pay it? Is there a way I can include this in my product cost and then pay DHL ahead of time so my customer doesn't have to pay it?

Any help appreciated,

Thanks

BigglyBoo | Cute socks, sandals, and shoes for cute babies.

1 Like
Highlighted

Success.

Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
160 19 35

Hi @BigglyBoo,

Thank you for reaching out with your question! This is a common query for merchants selling into other customs areas, and there are a few things you'll want to consider when approaching this.

Firstly, if a customer orders a product from another country from which duties must be applied, they are usually the ones who will be required to pay any extra customs fees upon delivery. If this is the case, you'll want to ensure that you mention this on your website - if you had an FAQs page, for example, you can mention here that orders to certain regions may include customs fees.

Some couriers do allow for merchants to shoulder the cost of any duties that will be applied, so if it looks like this is going to be a regular occurrence for your customers and you have this option, you may wish to absorb this cost yourself and adjust the prices of your products accordingly. You could then advertise this to customers and assure them that any customs fees will be covered by yourself and that they won't need to worry about any extra charges upon delivery.

You can check out our Help Centre article on duties here which provides more information on this. I'd also suggest taking a look at DHL's Shipper’s Guide to Duties and Taxes - from a cursory look, it seems they do indeed offer the option for merchants to accept the charges for duties rather than the customer through their DHL Express service.

I hope my advice proves helpful but please do let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes

@Victor Thanks so much for your replay. It was super helpful. I have added the message on my site to let my customers know they may have to pay a small customs clearance fee. 

BigglyBoo | Cute socks, sandals, and shoes for cute babies.

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
160 19 35

Hi @BigglyBoo,

No problem at all! I think that's probably the best solution - most consumers who regularly buy from abroad will be aware of potential customs taxes, but it's a solid idea to mention it on your site so they are aware that it's a possibility. It's more common for buyers to cover the costs so I don't think it'll work against you in any way by being transparent about this.

Thanks again for reaching out and have a great end to your week!

Kind regards,

Victor | Shopify Social Care

- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes