Why can't I verify my Shopify-bought domain on Facebook?

ValeriaM
Tourist
5 0 2

Hello, i bought my domain from shopify and i wanted to verify my domain on facebook. It says to go to DNS setting but unfortunalty i dont have that option. It does not let me select my domain whatsoever.

Replies 22 (22)

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @ValeriaM.

Elias here with Shopify Support. Thanks for reaching out.

I understand you're looking to add a record to your DNS settings for verifying your domain with Facebook. On the domains page in your admin, there's a button to manage your Shopify-purchased domain. Is the manage button not appearing on your end?

I've listed some steps here to help with navigating and locating the DNS settings button:

1. First you'll want to navigate to your domains page, that's located under 'Online store > Domains'.
2. Then click manage on your Shopify-purchased domain.
3. On the next page, look for a DNS settings button near the top of the page.
4. From there, you can add Facebook's DNS records for verifying your domain.

We've also got a guide on that here: View or edit the DNS settings for a domain

If you're still not seeing the manage button, I'd be happy to take a closer look - Can you share a screenshot of what's showing on your end? 

Elias | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

ValeriaM
Tourist
5 0 2
Hi,

I created and added a domain valaromatherapie.comand what I don’t know is what put in NAME when I try to add Facebook’s DNS records. Do I just write Facebook and copy the link? Because I tried that and I still appears on Facebook as if I added nothing to the DNS records.
Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @ValeriaM.

Thank you for following up! 

Looking at Facebook's domain verification in Business Manager guide, you can verify your domain using HTML upload or DNS TXT record. With the TXT record, you can simply put 'Facebook' for the name of the TXT record. The name is to help differentiate between other records that you might have in your DNS and, even if it's left blank, it doesn't impact the domain verification.

Once you've added Facebook's TXT record, you'll need to hop back on Facebook's Business Manager to complete domain verification. That being said, you've mentioned nothing is happening after adding the DNS records. Was there a button to verify your domain? 

So that I can take a closer look, can you share a screenshot of the domain verification page on Facebook?

ValeriaM
Tourist
5 0 2
Yes there was a button but evreytime I try ( even though I wait 72h ) it doesn’t work. I don’t know what else to do

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @ValeriaM.

Thank you for following up!

No problem, I'd be happy to take a closer look. However, to make sure I have the right information, can you share a couple of screenshots?

I'll need to take a look at the following:

- DNS settings on Shopify (where Facebook's TXT record is added)
- Facebook's domain verification page (the instructions and the verify button)

Please crop or black out any of the sensitive information that might be the screenshots. 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

ValeriaM
Tourist
5 0 2
Hello here are the screenshots
Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @ValeriaM.

Thank you for getting back!

I'm not finding any screenshots on the thread, can you try uploading them again?

Thanks!

ValeriaM
Tourist
5 0 2
Sure, do you see them now ??

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @ValeriaM.

Thanks for getting back again!

I'm still not seeing any screenshots or attachments on the thread. However, so that we have another way of receiving your screenshots, I've sent an authentication email to your registered email. Please check your inbox/spam folders for my email, reply to it with your attachments, and I'll be keeping an eye out for your response. 

Thank you!

sebastianpescia
Visitor
1 0 0

I am starting on Shopify. I can't believe the help is so bad. This is a bad start. Hope it gets better.

ForgeTHESTRONG
Visitor
2 0 1

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.49.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 11.49.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.30.12 PM.png

G0o0o0oOT THIS Same issues please help out.. please kindly

send screenshots or videos on achieving this crucial and vital information for facebooks initiation and acceptance for E - COMMerce websites.. 

for your prompt response we the community and not just i thank you 

  

ForgeTHESTRONG
Visitor
2 0 1

Steps to verify this DNS CONFIGURATION this crucial and vital facebook thingSteps to verify this DNS CONFIGURATION this crucial and vital facebook thingFor your prompt response we the community and not just I thank youFor your prompt response we the community and not just I thank yousend videos or screenshots do not send us to read countless boring articless.. as mean as i may sound.. REALITY is smaller videos and voice is better than reading..send videos or screenshots do not send us to read countless boring articless.. as mean as i may sound.. REALITY is smaller videos and voice is better than reading..

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @ForgeTHESTRONG.

Thank you for sharing the screenshots!

I understand you're looking to verify your domain with Facebook and all 3 of their methods are available through Shopify. Though you only need to verify using one method, I wouldn't recommend the HTML file upload method, as this method can be difficult and confusing to set up. I'd recommend using the DNS verification or Meta-tag Verification, as both can be easily set up in a couple of steps. 

1. DNS verification (for Shopify-purchased domains)

Since you've already located the DNS Settings for your Shopify-purchased domain, I'll start with this one and share screenshots to assist you with this. Simply add a custom record and select TXT record, enter '@' for the Name and paste Facebook's TXT record on to the TXT Value field. Once that's done, you can go back and click the Verify button in your Facebook Business settings. 

For third-party domains, you can add Facebook's TXT record to the DNS settings through your domain registrar. This is a similar process to connecting your existing domain to Shopify, where you're adding Shopify's record to the DNS settings of your domain registrar.   

2. Meta-tag Verification

The Meta-tag Verification is also a simple copy and paste procedure. However, the meta-tag is pasted into your theme's code, which is located under 'Online store > Themes > Actions > Edit code'. From there, look for the theme.liquid file (in the Layout folder) and paste the meta-tag on any empty line after the opening <head> tag. Though you can paste this on any empty line after the opening <head> tag, it's important to make sure that you're also pasting it before the closing </head> tag. If you'd like to reference a step-by-step guide for this process, it's like adding a domain property and verifying your site with Google.

3. HTML file upload

Though this step isn't something I'd recommend, it's possible to upload files to your website on Shopify. While uploading the file is relatively easy, the tricky part is getting a file pathway that Facebook (or Google) accepts for verifying the domain.

Let me know if this is able to help you verify your domain?

carris_layting
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Elias, 

I have followed the steps but i do not see the "DNS settings" button at the top of the page after clicking on manage. 

Can you help?

Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.02.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-02 at 10.02.12 AM.png

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @carris_layting.

Welcome to the thread!

You're definitely in the right place. However, to clarify, the DNS settings is only available on Shopify-purchased domains. While Shopify-managed domains include both, purchased and account-bound domains, the one bound to the account (carrislabelle.myshopify.com) does not have DNS Settings.

For third-party domains (carrislabelle.com), the DNS settings is accessed through your domain provider's portal/registrar. This step is like adding Shopify's DNS record to your domain registrar, where you've connected your existing domain to Shopify.

Are you also trying to verify your domain with Facebook? If so, I've shared some steps on the DNS verification and Meta-tag Verification methods in an earlier post. 

Let me know if you've had a chance to take a look at my previous post?

Rishi_HJ
Visitor
2 0 1

Hi Elias,

As with most people on here, I have tried to follow the TXT instructions to verify domain for FB. I did this last week on 17.03.21 and when I tried to verify on facebook today, that is, 23.03.21, it says it found no DNS entries. I have a shopify owned domain and thought this would be the easiest way to go about this. Is there a chance this didnt happen because I didn't edit the name section with '@'? I feel its improbable but not sure what else could be the reason, though I have just now copied and pasted the matter again under TXT value on shopify and changed name to @. Attaching screenshots for your referenceScreen Shot 2021-03-23 at 12.33.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-23 at 12.33.13 PM.png

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hi, @Rishi_HJ.

Thank you for joining the thread and sharing the screenshots!

The name section ('@') may be required, as I have seen some verifications fail due to the name section being omitted. However, if that still doesn't work, I'd recommend trying the Meta-tag Verification method. Using this method, you can simply copy and paste the line of code into your theme files ('Online store > Themes > Actions > Edit Code').

From there, look under the Layout folder and locate the file - theme.liquid. When pasting the code in an empty line or on a new line, it's important to paste the code after the <head> or before </head> tags in the coding. Once that's done, try verifying your domain with Facebook once more. 

Here's an example from my test store:

06-58-sin2w-2gozh

That being said, since you've added the @ for the name section for the DNS Verification - Were you able to successfully verify your domain with Facebook?

zakovrazhka
Visitor
1 0 0
Hi,

Please assist how to upload an DNS verification file to my shopify website

Best regards,

Phoenixfire116
Visitor
1 0 0

So if I have a "managed domain" from Shopify...there are no DNS settings.

So how can I verify my business with facebook and instagram if I do not have access to these settings?

Elias
Shopify Staff
2771 274 483

Hey, @zakovrazhka@Phoenixfire116, & @yinka662.

Welcome to the thread!

In order to verify your domain with Facebook using DNS Verification, you would need to purchase a custom domain or connect a third-party domain. The "Manage" button is only available for Shopify-purchased domains, which is where you can view and edit the DNS and add Facebook's TXT record. If you're using a third-party domain, you can add Facebook's TXT record to the DNS settings through your domain provider's dashboard. However, if you only have the Shopify URL (store.myshopify.com), which is included with your Shopify store, then you'll need to use one of the other two verification methods. 

If you haven't purchased a custom domain or you're not seeing the "Manage" button in your domain settings, then I'd suggest using the Meta-tag Verification method. I've also covered this method in my last post, just before this one. Please take a look and let me know if it's able to help you verify with Facebook.

Since we're unable to authenticate accounts and provide account-specific support over the Community Forums, I'm unable to take a closer look at your domain settings. However, our Support team would be happy to continue assisting you through live chat, callback, or emails. If you'd like to get in touch with our Support, please visit Shopify Help Center and log in to your account to create a support request.

I hope this points you in the right direction! If you have any other questions on this topic, don't hesitate to let me know!

yinka662
Visitor
1 0 0

pls i want verify my domain i cant find manage beside my domain in other to edit DNS file what can i do

Sruma
Visitor
1 0 0

Hey sorry im having that same problem did you manage to get help?