DNS and Domain transfer from 123-Reg

Highlighted
20 0 0

Hello all,

We have been using a company called EasyWebstore for the past 10 months now, and have stopped using their services to come over to Shopify.

I have set everything up but am just struggling importing the DNS and Domain. As we let EasyWebstore fix all of our website we had their DNS namserver settings in our back office. However, I have now set them back to the default 123-reg name servers. So that should in theory cut all ties with the old providers shouldn't it?

I have followed this thread to get the correct 123-reg settings so I can use our domain name -http://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/shopify-discussion/t/123-reg-web-forwarding-dns-conflict-112791.

I have put those settings into the 123-reg DNS settings replacing his shopify store with ours. When type in our domain name it seems to be showing our new shopify store and not our old one which is great. It works when you put in www.insectframe.co.uk, which the correct domain name or insect-frame-uk.myshopify.com. However, in the shopify DNS and Domain settings it still shows as failed and not as OK, even though it seems to be working?

I have also cancelled our subscriptions with EasyWebstore so they cannot take any more money. However, When I search keywords on google it is still coming up with our old website keywords/SEO? You click onto the link and it then shows our new shopify store. Does that make sense? How come our new Shopify SEO isn't showing in google but our old website is?

Lastly, it seems that although it seems to be working, when testing the checkout process the website reverts back to the insect-frame-uk.myshopify and doesn't show anything in the basket, therefore not allowing checkout. I have researched the forwarding without masking but 123-reg doesn't have an option for this!

Apologies for all the questions but will appreciate a quick response and a solution hopefully haha.

Our shopify store is https://insect-frame-uk.myshopify.com. If anyone needs to look into the 123-reg back office I can let you have access with our username and passcode.

Kindest Regards,

Jacob

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

P.S - Would it just be just as easy to transfer my domains to shopify?

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

All fixed. It seems the domain name was forwarding to itself?! I think one of my team had fiddled with it and broke it. All fixed now!

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

If anyone wants to no how to use shopify with 123-reg.com heres how with a couple of screenshots:

1) Login and Clcik Control panel. From the drop down select the relevant domain - Click Manage

2) Click Manage DNS (A, MX, CNAME, TXT, SRV)

3) Click advanced DNS and fill in relevant A and CNAME information like the screen shot below. Replace my shopify name with your own. I would suggest deleting all existing A and CNAME records.

4) Once this is done go back and click 'change name servers'. Make sure these are the 123-reg default name servers which are 1) ns.123-reg.co.uk and 2) ns2.123-reg.co.uk.

5) Once this is done click on 'web forwarding' and make sure that the domain name you want to use isn't set up for web forwarding as this will defeat the object entirely.

I hope this helps..

Cheers, Jacob

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
19 0 2

Hi Jacob. I've just followed your 123-reg guide. What do you use for your email now? I had hosting set up - so the nameservers were pointing there. That's where my email was. However, I guess now I've changed the nameservers back to 123-reg, and the A & CNAME records to shopify - the email will no longer work?

Thanks!

Matt.

For The Love Of Geek
0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

Hi Matt,

I've also had email hosting set up. The hosting service should send you their MX records. All you have to do is replace the default 123-reg MX records with your new hosted email MX records.

You should have by the end your 2 MX records, your new A record and your new CNAME record.

I hope that's helps,

Jacob

0 Likes
Highlighted
20 0 0

P.S - we use hushmail,

Jacob

0 Likes