Deactivate SMS Order Confirmation

3 0 0

I spent a whole day trying to deactivate the SMS order confirmation because it might have charges I'm not aware of. I understand that the email order confirmation, but can the SMS be deactivated? Thank you in advance! :)

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
357 40 70

Hey, @gorgeouswithiny!

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

I just wanted to confirm, are these notifications you're receiving when an order comes in, or ones that are being sent to customers?

If it is a notification on your phone, this will be coming from the Shopify mobile app, and won't have any charges associated with it. If you would like to turn it off, you would just need to adjust your notification settings, for the app, from your phone's settings area.

If you'd like to disable the notification for you customers receiving an SMS, you can do this under Settings>Checkout. In here you can set your checkout so that customers are required to enter an email address to checkout. That way they will only receive an email and not an SMS. You can still collect phone numbers by selecting the options shown below. This service also wouldn't charge you.

10-59-d3e25-bmdgk

Please let me know if this helps to answer your question, or if you run into any trouble setting it up!

Other than this, how is your business going so far? Have you had a chance to look at some of the marketing tools Shopify offers?

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
3 0 0

Thank you for the fast response. I highly appreciate it.

I'm referring to the ones that are being sent to customers via SMS.

sms.jpg

I want this setting wherein people can checkout using their phone or email.

The questions is...(just for clarification purposes)...

Does Shopify charge us every time the customers get order updates by SMS?

Thank you in advance! :)

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
357 40 70

You're very welcome @gorgeouswithiny!

The only way for customers to be able to checkout using their email address or phone number would be to allow them to receive SMS notifications if they choose to just input their phone. This is because they need to receive an order confirmation, and we would have no other way of sending one without sending the SMS. 

Shopify will not charge you for sending SMS confirmations to your customers. However, standard message rates may still apply to your customers depending on their phone carrier.

You can find out more about SMS notifications work here! 

Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions about this that I could look into for you.

Lizzy

0 Likes
4 0 0

Hi Lizzy

That has been a help to me too. However, many of our customer don't have email or mobile  - only landline.  We use the Admin area to put MOTO orders on for them. How do I stop them getting an sms/automated message to their landline.

Amanda 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
357 40 70

Hey @Amandagos!

I'm happy to hear I could help!

Are you creating draft orders for these customers? If so you can create the order without requiring a customer email or phone number. This means that you can set up the customer with just a name and an address, and could add their phone number as a Shipping Phone number if you'd like to have it there just as reference.

You can also disable shipping update SMS notifications under Settings>Notifications>Delivery by unchecking these boxes:

Let me know if you have any questions about these steps!

Lizzy

0 Likes