Default product status when adding new product

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 8

I'm just here to upvote this thread... I can understand how this new feature might be helpful in some use cases, but there should definitely be an option to change the default status to active instead of draft. Suddenly I have a bunch of draft products that we thought were published, as the team who is in charge of uploading products has been doing the same process for months. Now I have to train everyone again so they don't forget to change the status before saving, and I am 100% positive we will still have a few products marked as a draft when we thought they should be published as this is something easy to forget when you are already used to a certain workflow...

Perhaps, instead of having to select between Draft and Active from a dropdown list, you could just have two buttons at the very top right of the page. A gray one "Save as draft" and a green one "Save & Publish". IMO that would be a lot more user friendly and intuitive, without disrupting anyone's workflow.

Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
312 27 65

Hi, @capocopa and @soymarketing!

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts on this change. I won't repeat too much of what I've already said above, as I assume you've already read through it. I'll be happy to add both your comments to our feedback process on this change.

In the meantime, you are able to change the product from draft to active when creating it. I understand this is still an impact to your workflow in the interim, but this is one way to make sure your products are not submitted as drafts.

If you upload products via CSV, at the moment, these will all be added as active, so that's another way of working around the change. To learn more about uploading via CSV, please take a look at this guide.

Thanks!

Miles | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

100000000000000% Agree.. please give us the option. it may be good for some merchants that add multiple products at once, but for me that I add a few here and there, this is just one extra step for me!

Highlighted
1 0 1

Hi- I too think that when you list a product it should default to "active" and let the merchants choose "draft" or give us the choice to change the default.

Highlighted
3 0 0

This is also really slowing down things for my shop. I also find myself having to go back and find products that were accidentally added as drafts that should be active. 

A simple option to just change the default status would be great.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

This is annoying, surely making products active should be the default! I’ve just spent days setting up my website from scratch and couldn’t work out why so many of my items are drafts! How do I change them to active without reposting them as that would take me days again! Thanks

Highlighted
3 0 0

@systemF Go to products -> drafts (along the top) -> select all using the checkbox on top left -> edit products -> add fields -> status 

then you should be able to select a whole bunch of them at once and change the status to active, rather than doing them one by one!

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 2

@SteamboatMusic  thanks a lot appreciate that! I’m Still getting to grips with things! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Has anyone had trouble with a lag time when changing products from draft status to active status?  Last time it took about 5 hours for the product to populate on the site.  Having the same problem today with one of the twenty some products in my collection appearing about an hour after I changed the status from draft to active. Thanks

0 Likes