Delete from website or leave mark sold???

Laura_DelVecch1
Tourist
28 0 1

Hi there..

Do most of you mark your products as sold or do you delete them from the website. I love people to think that I sell products by leaving them sold BUT I don't want customers to get disappointed and want something and I don't have it. I make all one-of-a-kind pieces of jewelry so I'd like to know what others do.

Thanks

Bead Dangle Design (Laura D.)

0 Likes
standoutd
Navigator
1137 0 125

I suggest leaving the items on your site for SEO/Inbound link maintenance. If people have linked to your product, you'd like others that stumble upon that link (e.g. in a post somewhere or via search) to not bounce when they click the link. You could mod your collection template to skip products you tag something liked "Sold Out" so new visitors don't see/click to those products. Same for your search results page. In your product template, you could then have a little message (again triggered by the Sold Out tag) that appears instead of ADD TO CART.  Example: "Another lucky customer is already thrilled to own this one-of-a-kind piece. But you can find more here." Then link them to the current collection.

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
EldarGaliev
Shopify Partner
142 0 11

Yes, I fully agree with standoutd. Your customers can find the old links to these products from internet and it is much better to display Sold Out item page instead of Not Found page.

Growave is the all-in-one marketing platform that helps Shopify brands reach their audience, engage users and increase conversions with ease.
0 Likes
Laura_DelVecch1
Tourist
28 0 1

What would happen if I mark sold items hidden??

0 Likes
Gil_Kruger
2 0 0

Hiya Standout: You reference adding something to the product template when an item (in our case, a variant like a T-shirt size) is out of stock.  We would love to do a pop-up that says "We are out of X, can we suggest [insert in-stock item]?"

Is there an App or code that allows us to do this?

At the moment we're using the excellent Back in Stock app for customers to be notified, but at the moment in our product cycle,  we would prefer to suggest an alternative T-shirt design.

Thank you!

Gil

0 Likes
Allen7
Shopify Partner
17 0 11

Do not mark them as hidden and don't delete them, if you plan on stocking it again. This will mess up your SEO. Instead, put it a form for customers to type in their email for when you have it back in stock.

0 Likes
standoutd
Navigator
1137 0 125

Hi Gil. That is for sure possible. Per product or per variant? You could use a metafield to store the suggestion's handle. A tricky part would be the stock status of the alternate product. Maybe use a collection instead that filters available products only?

http://www.StandoutDesigns.com ::: Solid Wood TV Furniture for Enthusiasts. Made in USA.
0 Likes
CraftyJuniper
1 0 0

Along these lines, is it possible to list something in your store that you gave as a gift but mark it as sold, so that customers can see photos of items you can make but don't currently stock?  I am new to this and don't want to get in trouble with Uncle Sam.  Would it be deceitful to show something you made but didn't actually sell thru your shop?

0 Likes