Deleting Products

Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Hi All, 

This may seem like a silly question but do you just hide products that you no longer sell on your store or do you actually delete products? Im asking because I sell handbags on my store and I have about 50 that I no longer sell and they are Hidden from my store. I want to delete them because it is taking up space but not sure if I should just hide or delete completely. 

Thanks for your help! 

-Malikah P. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
100 0 17

Hey there Malikah!

Cynthia here, a Guru at Shopify :).

This would depend on whether or not you think you're going to eventually sell those products again - if not, you can definitely go ahead and delete them.

Or perhaps if you wanted to keep the product photos & data saved in one area, you could just keep it as Hidden so you can have that information for future reference.

If you're not going to need them in the future, though - you're all good to just go ahead and remove/delete those products :).

Hope this was helpful - if you need anything else, feel free to give us a shout!

Cynn | Guru @ Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 2

Thank You Cynn for your help!!! :) 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
100 0 17

Any time, Malikah - always happy to take a look :).

Feel free to give me a shout any time if you need further help!

Cynn | Guru @ Shopify

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Will the sales data be deleted with that or only the product? As in invoices, and orders related to that specific sold out product? 

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 1

If we delete the products, will sales data be also deleted, and will it hurt my SEO?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
38 0 1
I would like to know this as well, please. Will deleting old products affect sales data or order information?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 12

Once a year I wipe old products from the admin because it starts to slow down. Sales data is kept in terms of dollars for accounting, but you won't be able to review the sales data based on that product any more. In terms of SEO, make sure all the products you want to delete are hidden on shopify. Once this is done, and assuming you're sitemap has been submitted to Google Search Console, you can delete the product pages. You will get a notice from Search Console that you have "404 errors". It will be for the pages deleted. Simply mark as fixed in Search Console, and submit. These pages will be re-crawled and Google will know they're no longer available.

I've been doing this for 3-4 years without issue. No punishment from Google, no indexing errors, etc.

0 Likes