Digital Downloads accessed thru customer account

AmandaSee1984
Tourist
13 0 1

I currently have the app Digital Downloads for my products, and have required that customers make an account. My next question is how do I make their purchased digital downloads available thru their customer account? So that if they lose the email, I don't have to manually send it to them again, they can login, go to the order and click the files to download. Thanks! 

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
101 17 21

Hey, @AmandaSee1984!

This is Moira from the Social Care team at Shopify. It’s great to hear you are utilizing the Digital Downloads app for your products! I understand you are looking for a way to make the download available in the customer account section. I'd be more than happy to help you with a solution today.

Currently, there is no option through the native Shopify Digital Downloads app that provides what you are after so I have done some digging on the Shopify app store and found a workaround. In order for the download link to be accessible through the customer portal, the easiest method would be to look at using an alternative digital downloads app.

Here are two fantastic apps for you to choose from below:

• Sky Pilot ‑ Digital Downloads | Shopify App Store - At any point, a customer can log in to their account in your store to access files or videos they have purchased. This page shows an organizable list of files and/or a playlist of all streaming videos.

• SendOwl | Shopify App Store - You can add a SendOwl download link (so the customer can download their files) to three different locations in your Shopify store: the checkout "Thank You" page, the order confirmation email, and the customer login area.

Alternatively, you could store a metafield on the customer object with the custom URL to your download link. When an order is placed, use an app called Mechanic to grab the download URL from the product and store it in a metafield on the customer. Then in a page in liquid (which you create), loop through the customer's metafields and display the download links. This approach needs a little bit of theme editing to add the extra logic. The Shopify community forums can nudge you in the general direction if you want to give it a go. I have found a tutorial that a developer has posted to help out a fellow merchant right here.

If you wanted to head down the metafield path, Shopify has paid experts who will complete custom coding and in-depth customizations for your store for an agreed fee between you both, they are fantastic at helping you achieve what you're after. Click here to find out more about hiring a Shopify Expert.

If none of these suggestions work out, you can let us know and we'll be glad to see if we can find a better fit for you or you can go through the apps at our App Store here.

If you have any questions please feel free to thread those below.

Cheers!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Michal_Morek
Shopify Partner
821 73 139

Hi @Moira @AmandaSee1984 

Hope you're having a great day!

Thanks to @Moira 

Founder of Shopify agency - Accomplishify.com
If you would like to hire us as Shopify experts, please reach out via:
  • Email michal.morek@accomplishify.com
  • WhatsApp +48 507 613 425
0 Likes
AmandaSee1984
Tourist
13 0 1

Thank you for that wonderful information! If I were to install another app, would I have to go back thru all my digital listings and re-upload the digital files to that new app, or is there some way to transfer them to the new app? Thank you! 

I'm not very savvy on the metafield stuff, so I will try to stick with the easiest way for now. 

0 Likes
Moira
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
101 17 21

Hi @AmandaSee1984,

Great question! Because the apps I have suggested above are created by separate developers, this means they may operate slightly differently from one another so your files will need to be manually re-uploaded to your new app of choice.

Don't hesitate to reach back out if you have any further questions.

Cheers!

Moira | Social Care @ Shopify
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
- Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
- To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes