Digital download products accessible in customer account?

heycoffeeeyes
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi,

After some months of work I just launched my store with sells digital products.

I'm using the Shopify Digital Downloads app but I can't find out how to make the products downloadable from inside the customers account page.

Yes I am aware that, upon purchase, the customer receives a download link but for a purely digital product business this is simply not enough.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Replies 10 (10)

HelpfulHuman
13 0 0

Hi,

SendOwl provides this feature, but the Shopify Digital Downloads does not.

I'm happy to help, I'm currently researching ways to sell files on Shopify.

thanks,

Austin

breezybrie
4 0 0

I'm not seeing that as an option on Send Owl - am I missing something?

breezybrie
4 0 0

Did you come up with a solution? I have spent 2 weeks setting up my store, it's almost ready to go and then I am running into this issue as well. I hope you found a solution! Please let me know.

PresetLion
Excursionist
14 0 8

same here!

mnearents
Shopify Partner
81 4 50

I think there's a couple ways you can do this:

With the Digital Downloads app you would need to include the download link in a private metafield on the product. When an order is placed, use an app called Mechanic to grab the download URL from the product and store it in a metafield on the customer. Then in a page in liquid (which you create), loop through the customer's metafields and display the download links. I haven't tried this myself but in theory it could work. Also keep in mind any limitations on metafields, etc.

Another app that does this really well is Sky Pilot. It adds a link to the customer account where they can view all their digital downloads.

A third (also untested) way to do this would be to write all the download URLs you have for each product into metafields on the Shop with the product SKU as they key, and the url as the value. Then when a customer clicks into the downloads page (a page you create and edit the code), loop through all shop metafields, checking that each sku exists in the customer's orders. So essentially you're just filtering out downloads they haven't purchased.

I am currently debating which method I'm going to use, I'll update an answer if I find one that works well.

AtlasWebmaster
Tourist
10 0 8

Any success on this, @mnearents? There are a LOT of people online who would love to know about a fix for this!!! Otherwise, I'm coming down to the answer being "there's no API for Digital Downloads, so this is impossible … pay for a 3rd party app that does it outside of Shopify."

Sophia11
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

Hi, any success with this? What did you end up deciding? Thanks!

Mrtshirts
Visitor
2 0 0
Please cancel
Sophia11
Shopify Partner
5 0 1

@Mrtshirts what are you trying to say?

Has anyone found a solution to displaying the digital downloads link on customer account page? We really need this feature for our store too and are willing to pay someone to code it. But paying for a 3rd party app each month for this feature is simply not feasible/too expensive.

If you believe you can code this feature for us, please reach out to me! Thank you

FEARLESSBEATZ
Tourist
6 0 1

There's a very easy way to do this if you have a little experience with code. I just did this on my store and want to share it with everyone. I made a button on my order pages that takes you to the direct download for each product.

1. First get the download link from each of your digital files and have them ready

2. Go into your Shopify Dashboard -> Settings -> Custom data -> Products -> Add Definition

Your going to create a new metadata field. Call it url or whatever you would like and set the type as URL

3. Go into each of your products to edit them in Shopify Dashboard and scroll down to the metafields and now you will see the url section you just created. This is where you are going to paste all of the links to the direct downloads for your products.

4. Now we have to edit the code but it should be fairly easy. Go to your Shopify Dashboard -> Online Store -> Theme -> click the three circles button for more options -> Edit Code

Depending on the theme you are using, the name of the page you are looking for might be a little different. For us, our page is called customers/order.liquid under templates. Your should be something similar.

5. Once you found the page, you gotta find the area where you want to place your button. It might be useful to make an account on your website and make an order so that you can see what your order page looks like and how everything is laid out. For each order, you want to find the last element in the row. Mine is "price". So you want to put a button somewhere around here. Look at the picture I attached, this is where my button is at. You can do something similar

Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 5.31.06 PM.png

Once you found the spot in your code that you want to put your button, you want to make that button using line_item.product.metafields.custom.{metadata name you chose} as the href. Note: you need to make sure you are inside the forloop that loops for each product in the customers order so that you can use the line_item. You should see other lines of code using line_item if you are in the right spot. I will put a picture of the code I used below so that you can copy that for your website.

Screen Shot 2023-10-12 at 5.20.40 PM.png

Best of luck. I know this can be challenging for people who are not coders, but if you have any questions, feel free to reply and I will do my best to answer

Edit: You will want to remove the part in my code "class='appstle_manageSubBtn'", as you probably do not have that class on your website. Should be completely fine without it