Digital download products accessible in customer account?

heycoffeeeyes
1 0 0

Hi,

After some months of work I just launched my store with sells digital products.

I'm using the Shopify Digital Downloads app but I can't find out how to make the products downloadable from inside the customers account page.

Yes I am aware that, upon purchase, the customer receives a download link but for a purely digital product business this is simply not enough.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
HelpfulHuman
12 0 0

Hi,

SendOwl provides this feature, but the Shopify Digital Downloads does not.

I'm happy to help, I'm currently researching ways to sell files on Shopify.

thanks,

Austin

0 Likes
breezybrie
4 0 0

I'm not seeing that as an option on Send Owl - am I missing something?

0 Likes
breezybrie
4 0 0

Did you come up with a solution? I have spent 2 weeks setting up my store, it's almost ready to go and then I am running into this issue as well. I hope you found a solution! Please let me know.

0 Likes
PresetLion
13 0 0

same here!

0 Likes
mnearents
Excursionist
24 3 3

I think there's a couple ways you can do this:

With the Digital Downloads app you would need to include the download link in a private metafield on the product. When an order is placed, use an app called Mechanic to grab the download URL from the product and store it in a metafield on the customer. Then in a page in liquid (which you create), loop through the customer's metafields and display the download links. I haven't tried this myself but in theory it could work. Also keep in mind any limitations on metafields, etc.

Another app that does this really well is Sky Pilot. It adds a link to the customer account where they can view all their digital downloads.

A third (also untested) way to do this would be to write all the download URLs you have for each product into metafields on the Shop with the product SKU as they key, and the url as the value. Then when a customer clicks into the downloads page (a page you create and edit the code), loop through all shop metafields, checking that each sku exists in the customer's orders. So essentially you're just filtering out downloads they haven't purchased.

I am currently debating which method I'm going to use, I'll update an answer if I find one that works well.

0 Likes