Solved

Disable checkout for some products in Brooklyn theme

Mandeepgill
Tourist
15 0 1

Hi,

For some products on our site I would like some customer be able to Add to Cart but NOT allow them to Checkout and pay for those products

Also what is the best way to show the products to only some customers?

Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution (1)

Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Mandeepgill 

Eunice here, thanks for posting; I'd be happy to assist with both of those questions.

How to let customers add to cart but not checkout

While there is no function to allow for 'window shopping', there is a workaround you can implement to prevent customers from purchasing certain products.

What you'll need to do is change the weight of the product/s you don't want to be purchased, along with your shipping conditions.

For example:

Head to Products from your Shopify admin and change the weight of the product you don't want to be purchased to something rather abnormal, like 500kg:

gzzok-hbrdb

Then head to Settings > Shipping and Delivery and ensure the shipping conditions for your chosen zone don't cater to the product weight you've just changed:

mmtu3-gtzap

Once these changes have been made, a customer who tries to checkout with the product that weighs 500kg won't be able to. This is because the shipping conditions are set to only allow products weighing up to 100kg to be shipped.

When the customer goes to checkout, they'll be greeted by the following error message prompting them to contact you, the store:

filu4-3fvp2It's worth noting that if a customer also adds to their cart a product that does meet the shipping conditions, in addition to the product that doesn't, they won't be able to check out; the same error message will appear. 

How to show products to select customers

To only show certain products to certain customers you'll need to use a third-party app such as Locksmith. This app allows you to lock products behind a password that you can give to your customers.

Or, you can restrict customer access to your entire online store by enabling the password page. The password page is a landing page that adds password protection to your online store. You can create a password and give it to customers that you'd like to enter your store.

I do hope this all helps. Is there a particular reason why you want customers to be able to take certain products to the cart, but not be able to checkout? Understanding your needs may help both myself and the community to provide a more suited solution for you.

Cheers!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Eunice
Shopify Staff (Retired)
388 51 64

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @Mandeepgill 

Eunice here, thanks for posting; I'd be happy to assist with both of those questions.

How to let customers add to cart but not checkout

While there is no function to allow for 'window shopping', there is a workaround you can implement to prevent customers from purchasing certain products.

What you'll need to do is change the weight of the product/s you don't want to be purchased, along with your shipping conditions.

For example:

Head to Products from your Shopify admin and change the weight of the product you don't want to be purchased to something rather abnormal, like 500kg:

gzzok-hbrdb

Then head to Settings > Shipping and Delivery and ensure the shipping conditions for your chosen zone don't cater to the product weight you've just changed:

mmtu3-gtzap

Once these changes have been made, a customer who tries to checkout with the product that weighs 500kg won't be able to. This is because the shipping conditions are set to only allow products weighing up to 100kg to be shipped.

When the customer goes to checkout, they'll be greeted by the following error message prompting them to contact you, the store:

filu4-3fvp2It's worth noting that if a customer also adds to their cart a product that does meet the shipping conditions, in addition to the product that doesn't, they won't be able to check out; the same error message will appear. 

How to show products to select customers

To only show certain products to certain customers you'll need to use a third-party app such as Locksmith. This app allows you to lock products behind a password that you can give to your customers.

Or, you can restrict customer access to your entire online store by enabling the password page. The password page is a landing page that adds password protection to your online store. You can create a password and give it to customers that you'd like to enter your store.

I do hope this all helps. Is there a particular reason why you want customers to be able to take certain products to the cart, but not be able to checkout? Understanding your needs may help both myself and the community to provide a more suited solution for you.

Cheers!

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

Mandeepgill
Tourist
15 0 1

Hello @Eunice 

Appreciate your detailed response below

I will try out the method you suggested to block checkout for those products

Also I was hoping for a method to lock certain products without spending more on the App but that app sounds something that can meet my requirements

Regarding - 
Is there a particular reason why you want customers to be able to take certain products to the cart, but not be able to checkout? Understanding your needs may help both myself and the community to provide a more suited solution for you

Response - My business is a subscription box and I want to give my payed members an ability to select lets say, 6 out of 9 products I will upload on the website

I think the easiest way to do it is ask them to add the products they like in the Cart and we will export the products they Add in their cart and get the list for each user

I am open to know if you might have another idea that better suite my requirements or if you feel the above is a good workaround. 

A quick follow up question as well, 

Is there a way to set a counter for each product and reduce the counter by one everytime a user simply Add to Cart a product or increase by one everytime they remove the product from the cart ?