Disabling Shipping option in checkout

UnicornGlass
2 0 0

Hi!

We have been running into an issue with our shop due to shipping issues, currently we sell "tobacco" and "drug paraphernalia" so we are currently unable to process online paymentsntil we get a payment provider figured out, however we have a brick and mortar location that we are able to process payments through, but if customers have to come to our store to make the payment why are we even allowing them to choose the option to ship?

however i have been unable to find ANY adequate solution for this, as we would want to ship products out in the future, but want to get our website launched ASAP, so we dont want to have to worry about that or any confusion customers might have in regards to shipping issues.

0 Likes
Dirk
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
990 111 220

Hey, @UnicornGlass 

We actually have a useful step-by-step guide on Disabling/Hiding Your Add To Cart Buttons from your shop. This will allow you to hide them until you are ready to take online sales in the future. I also recommend duplicating your theme, that way you have a disabled and non-disabled version of the checkout that you can quickly switch to without having to revert your changes.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Dirk | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
UnicornGlass
2 0 0
Hey!

Unfortunately that doesn’t look like it’s going to work for us, as we are
actually accepting online orders, and want people to be able to add items
to their cart,

however we are only offering curbside pickup for the moment, and we were
looking for a way to disable the shipping option in the checkout and have
the only option be to pick up in store.
0 Likes

Hi @UnicornGlass,

There is a workaround in the Shopify admin to be able to have pickup only but it's not an entirely smooth process. 

If you go to Settings > Shipping > Shipping Zones Section > Edit the desired zone you want free pick up on, for example, United States > Go to price based rates > add a rate called "Pickup in store" > enter in minimum price to trigger your rate if any > check the free shipping rate box.

To display "pick up in-store" to in-state customers only, you can create a new shipping zone called local pickup, for example, then choose the United States from the list. For this to work, you'll need to exclude the state from the other United States shipping zone, or it will not let you select it. Once you do that, Shopify will automatically select the state that's available for shipping. Then proceed through the steps above to finish setting up your shipping. 

The second option would be putting a clear note on the product description:

This product can be picked up locally if you live in (name of town). Please select the free local pickup option on the shipping page.

As a consumer who shops online frequently, it's logical to me most websites will ship nationally and even internationally but if I know the location of the business is in the same city as mine, chances are, I can pick it up rather than have it shipped. I think most people will realize this. It's all about having clear, concise communication on your website.

You might try other solutions at our post here

Hopefully, this helps!

JohnHa | Beehexa Team | Shopify Integration
We build Hexasync Integration platform for connecting
ERP | POS | CRM | ACCOUNTING | E-COMMERCE to Automate Business Processes
0 Likes