Solved

Discontinuing completion of a Shopify store i was building , but transferring the domain name to new

JustinWalker
Visitor
2 0 0
Hello, i started to build a Shopify store but screwed it all up . So i signed up for Oberlo and started a new Shopify store from there . The problem I’m having is i already purchased my domain name for the store i started but screwed up and now i want to A) Transfer that domain name to my new and completed store and then B) Close that old store before my 14 day trial is up . How do i do this? Thank you all
Accepted Solutions (2)

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @JustinWalker!

Rose here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out!

How you transfer your domain to your new Shopify store depends on how you purchased the domain itself. Let's walk through the scenarios together!

First off, if your custom domain was purchased through a third party provider, you can follow these steps to remove the domain from your Shopify store. Essentially, there will be a "Remove" button beside the custom domain so that you can confirm the action:

27-59-oyion-1fc8j

Once the domain is removed, you can follow this help doc to add it onto your new account. We do have a helpful guide to connecting your existing domain and all the information your domain provider will require. 

If you purchased your domain through your Shopify account, you can transfer the domain to your new Shopify store within your admin panel. Here are the steps to follow in this case:

1. Head to your Shopify admin > Online Store > Domains then select your custom domain:

27-50-2tzn6-jmi3n

2. From there, you can select Transfer domain > Transfer to another Shopify store

At this point, you will receive an email from us with a link prompting you to sign into the account to which the domain should be transferred. Once you click on this link, the domain transfer process will begin. You will see all the records, subdomains and billing dates transferred to the new account shortly thereafter.

Now, when you are ready to close your first Shopify store to continue on with the new one exclusively, you can follow these steps:

1. Click on Settings > Plan and Permissions
  2. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Close Store

You should be good to go from there. If you have any further questions, please let me know!

Cheers!

Holly | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

gabfromspocket
Shopify Partner
259 9 51

Hi @JustinWalker! Gabby here from the Community Engagement team at Spocket.

Great that Rose was able to help you out! From my end, I'd like to make a recommendation on another platform you can use for the second store you made. You mentioned that you're using Oberlo currently, but I was just wondering if you've had the chance to explore other options? Like Spocket perhaps?

Oberlo is great but Spocket can greatly increase your earning potential. This is due to the fact that most of the suppliers on Spocket are from the EU and the US, and so you have a wider selection of items. Do note that these items are of exceptional quality and have one of the fastest, most reliable, and most efficient shipping times. We made sure of this with the rigorous onboarding process that our suppliers went through before they could list their items on our catalog. 

Dropshipping_suppliers_for_best_US_EU_products___Spocket.png

In any case, if you want to learn more about the app, you can visit Spocket's official website and/or join Spocket's official Facebook group. All the best and hope you can check us out! I also hope that your second store does well.

View solution in original post

Replies 8 (8)

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @JustinWalker!

Rose here from Shopify. Thanks for reaching out!

How you transfer your domain to your new Shopify store depends on how you purchased the domain itself. Let's walk through the scenarios together!

First off, if your custom domain was purchased through a third party provider, you can follow these steps to remove the domain from your Shopify store. Essentially, there will be a "Remove" button beside the custom domain so that you can confirm the action:

27-59-oyion-1fc8j

Once the domain is removed, you can follow this help doc to add it onto your new account. We do have a helpful guide to connecting your existing domain and all the information your domain provider will require. 

If you purchased your domain through your Shopify account, you can transfer the domain to your new Shopify store within your admin panel. Here are the steps to follow in this case:

1. Head to your Shopify admin > Online Store > Domains then select your custom domain:

27-50-2tzn6-jmi3n

2. From there, you can select Transfer domain > Transfer to another Shopify store

At this point, you will receive an email from us with a link prompting you to sign into the account to which the domain should be transferred. Once you click on this link, the domain transfer process will begin. You will see all the records, subdomains and billing dates transferred to the new account shortly thereafter.

Now, when you are ready to close your first Shopify store to continue on with the new one exclusively, you can follow these steps:

1. Click on Settings > Plan and Permissions
  2. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Close Store

You should be good to go from there. If you have any further questions, please let me know!

Cheers!

JustinWalker
Visitor
2 0 0
Thank you so much for your awesome response. i, still learning.
gabfromspocket
Shopify Partner
259 9 51

Hi @JustinWalker! Gabby here from the Community Engagement team at Spocket.

Great that Rose was able to help you out! From my end, I'd like to make a recommendation on another platform you can use for the second store you made. You mentioned that you're using Oberlo currently, but I was just wondering if you've had the chance to explore other options? Like Spocket perhaps?

Oberlo is great but Spocket can greatly increase your earning potential. This is due to the fact that most of the suppliers on Spocket are from the EU and the US, and so you have a wider selection of items. Do note that these items are of exceptional quality and have one of the fastest, most reliable, and most efficient shipping times. We made sure of this with the rigorous onboarding process that our suppliers went through before they could list their items on our catalog. 

Dropshipping_suppliers_for_best_US_EU_products___Spocket.png

In any case, if you want to learn more about the app, you can visit Spocket's official website and/or join Spocket's official Facebook group. All the best and hope you can check us out! I also hope that your second store does well.

kaiister
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi @Holly !

I have the exact same problem as @JustinWalker.

I ended up making a new account and now I want to transfer the domain i bought to my new shop.

Unfortunately I didn't know that you had to do that before you close your old store. 

Now my old store is closed and I have no clue how to transfer the domain. 
Is it still possible ? 

Kind regards

Kai

Holly
Shopify Staff (Retired)
687 74 152

Hi, @kaiister !

Thanks for reaching out.

It is possible to transfer your domain from your closed shop to the active one. I can take care of that for you. First, can you send me the store URLs for the open and closed accounts? Can you also specify the domain you are looking to transfer?

I'll be happy to take a deeper look into this for you.

Cheers! 

brittlebitesco
Visitor
1 0 0

Hi Shopify Help Team,

Looks like I'm in the right place for transferring out domains with a closed store.  It seems that I have a very similar issue as described by some others.  I had to close my store, and I signed up with a new website host (w/o e-commerce - for now) but didn't get a record of my domain information and didn't get a chance to transfer it out prior to closing my store.  So now, I have this new site I'm launching, and don't have the information I need to link my custom domain that I recently purchased.  Can anyone help with this transfer?  Or what's the best number to call?  

Thank you for your help.

TheConscious
Visitor
2 0 0

I am trying to transfer my domain to a new provider. 

I have unlocked my domain and requested a transfer close to one week ago today - but am still waiting for the transfer to be done.

What is taking so long?

I havent closed my shopify store yet - could this be a reason why my domain isnt transferring from Shopify?

alaiawoods
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, I want to build a Shopify store on sub-domain of my main blog Laptops Papa

Is it a good practice? OR I should go for a new fresh domain and build store on that?  Please provide me your valuable suggestions and recommendations.