Discount Shareable Link Not Working

jonamar
Tourist
3 0 1

Hey there,

So I have been trying to create a discount code that I can link through Facebook.
I created a discount code, which as you can see on the screenshot is active and ready to be used.

I apply the code to a specific product. When i click on 'promote' I am able to copy a shareable link.

When I choose the link for the specific product page and insert it in a website, it automatically says the page cannot be found. I doesn't matter which product I apply the code to, the product page can never be found.

Any idea how come? I really need to get this working.

Discount is active:

image.png

The shareable link:
image.png

When opening the link (happens with any other product too, not only with the mug)=

image.png

Hope someone can help!

Greetings,

jonathan

Replies 13 (13)

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 217

Hi, @jonamar!

Sophia here from Shopify.

I created a new discount code in my test store for a specific product. I followed the process to get a shareable link for the product-specific discount code, but when I click "Copy link" and paste the link into a new browser tab or window, I am able to access the correct product page every time.

Since it's working as expected on my end, here are a few things I suggest trying in order to troubleshoot:

If none of these items resolve the issue, please let me know and I'd be happy to investigate further. I can email you so that we can look into your store and this discount code specifically.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

Chad_Martinson
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Hello,

I am having a similar issue. When I copy the Shareable Link and paste it, the domain is redirected to my regular domain. There is no discount code being applied at checkout.

Copy and pasting: https://clothmaskusa.com/discount/6R9PH867TFRM?redirect=%2Fproducts%2Fprotective-cloth-mask

Directed to:clothmaskusa.com

Thanks for your help!

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 217

@Chad_Martinson wrote:

Hello,

I am having a similar issue. When I copy the Shareable Link and paste it, the domain is redirected to my regular domain. There is no discount code being applied at checkout.

Copy and pasting: https://clothmaskusa.com/discount/6R9PH867TFRM?redirect=%2Fproducts%2Fprotective-cloth-mask

Directed to:clothmaskusa.com

Thanks for your help!

Hi, @Chad_Martinson.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community! It sounds like you created an automatic discount, is that correct? I can see that the product on your home page states a minimum of three need to be purchased in order to receive the discount. Can you tell me a bit more about the discount you created in the admin and what its conditions are? That way I can do some testing on my end to see if I can replicate the issue and determine the cause. Thank you!

wallblush
Visitor
1 0 0

I find it is very discouraging that you have to clear cache to get discounts to show up properly. How is this advantageous to a Facebook marketing campaign that is retargeting traffic and they are getting advertised a discount, but because they have visited the site prior and have cookies saved they do not receive the offer at checkout! THIS IS A MASSIVE FAILURE RIGHT NOW THAT NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED! Very upset.. that these links are delicate and unreliable!

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 217

@wallblush wrote:

I find it is very discouraging that you have to clear cache to get discounts to show up properly. How is this advantageous to a Facebook marketing campaign that is retargeting traffic and they are getting advertised a discount, but because they have visited the site prior and have cookies saved they do not receive the offer at checkout! THIS IS A MASSIVE FAILURE RIGHT NOW THAT NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED! Very upset.. that these links are delicate and unreliable!

Hi, @wallblush.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

I'm sorry to hear that the discount codes have created a frustrating experience for you, specifically with retargeting traffic. Can you please provide some more information about the code you created? If you're able to post the discount shareable link here and/or explain the conditions for the code you created, I would be happy to do some troubleshooting to find out what went wrong. While cache clearing is occasionally necessary, customers shouldn't have to clear their cache every time they view your website.

MattChandler
Visitor
1 0 0

I am having an issue also. The shareable link is simply redirecting to the homepage without a discount being applied. I am actually offering a 50% deposit, redirecting to checkout through a button on the cart page. Everything works, but the discount does not get applied. Honestly, none of that matters. The shareable link itself simply just takes you to my homepage with no discount. I have cleared my cache. Still, the results are the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The shareable link that Shopify generates is: https://leather-and-more-in-hickory-nc.myshopify.com/discount/deposit

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 217

@MattChandler wrote:

I am having an issue also. The shareable link is simply redirecting to the homepage without a discount being applied. I am actually offering a 50% deposit, redirecting to checkout through a button on the cart page. Everything works, but the discount does not get applied. Honestly, none of that matters. The shareable link itself simply just takes you to my homepage with no discount. I have cleared my cache. Still, the results are the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The shareable link that Shopify generates is: https://leather-and-more-in-hickory-nc.myshopify.com/discount/deposit

Hi, @MattChandler.

The shareable link is expected to direct customers to the home page of your store, unless you have manually added a redirect to the URL by following the steps outlined here.

Have you adjusted any settings since posting here? The link that you shared is applying a discount now. I tested it with two different products. Here's a screenshot of the second product I tired, where the discount was automatically added to the checkout page:

23-38-3932-48252

aster777
Visitor
1 0 0

I just tested the link and no discount code applies. Mine not working either. There is a bug that isn't fixed for years it seems. And no solution whatsoever.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 217

@aster777 wrote:

I just tested the link and no discount code applies. Mine not working either. There is a bug that isn't fixed for years it seems. And no solution whatsoever.

Hi, @aster777!

If you feel comfortable sharing your store link along with the shareable link you created for the discount code, I'm happy to take a look. Please let me know whether the code applies to specific products or collections as well.

Alternatively, you can get in touch with our support team via the Shopify Help Center so we can troubleshoot and help you resolve this. Thank you!

thesheetladykri
Tourist
5 0 0

Years later and this is still a problem. Has anyone figured it out? On chat with a Shopify rep for hours. Escalated to Business Operations Team. 12 hours later I get a message to clear my cache. NO KIDDING!!! I did that before I even contacted support. 

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 217

@thesheetladykri wrote:

Years later and this is still a problem. Has anyone figured it out? On chat with a Shopify rep for hours. Escalated to Business Operations Team. 12 hours later I get a message to clear my cache. NO KIDDING!!! I did that before I even contacted support. 

Hi, @thesheetladykri.

I understand that it may be frustrating to review basic troubleshooting steps like clearing your cache, but it is imperative that we do because these steps often resolve the issue. I appreciate that you've already done some troubleshooting prior to contacting Shopify Support.

Following the steps to promote a discount using a shareable link, I haven't been able to replicate any of the issues mentioned in this thread. As you can see in the thread above, the shareable link did end up working as expected for another store. 

If your ticket was escalated to a specialized team, there's likely something more complex going on than what we can troubleshoot here in the Shopify Community. You can reply to your existing ticket with any further questions. Our team will follow up with you via email as soon as there's an update.

DuraPaw
Shopify Partner
16 0 10

Hi Sophia,

We are having the same issue everyone else seems to be having. We are redirecting customers when they click "Checkout" from our cart drawer to the checkout with the Discount=DuraPaw50 (which is one of our discount codes).

It seems to be very hit and miss. It used to work nicely but lately we have been having a lot of abandoned carts that never received the discount. We also have been testing orders all week and more-often than not, we are not receiving the discount and seeing full price at checkout. 

As I mentioned, it appears to be very hit and miss. Sometimes I can get the discount, but mostly not.

Our store is www.durapaw.ca

The DURAPAW50 discount code is valid for 3, 6 and 12 month plans. You can freely test this and see what results you are able to get.

Sophia
Shopify Staff
1669 109 217

Hey, @DuraPaw!

To clarify, are you sending a shareable link for this discount code? If you can provide details about how the discount is set up, I can try it out on my test store to see if I can replicate the issue.