Discount Step setup

Highlighted
Tourist
13 0 1

Does anyone know how to set up a discount which says something like, buy 1 at $10 and get unlimited at $4? problem with buy X get Y, type is that i have to specify Y? is there a way that i don't have to specify Y or something similar to get the above accomplished?

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1738 48 156

Creation automation of that type need apps.

Also this is may be more in the quantity discount area of customizataions|apps

Problem Solved? ✔️Accept the solution so you can help others.
Confused? Busy? ? Get me to solve it paull.newton+shopifyforum@gmail.com.
Buy me a coffee? ☕ paypal.me/paulnewton or donate to eff.org
1 Like
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi @PaulNewton , thank you for the information. I wanted to confirm that currently baseline shopify isn't able to perform it. I'm trying to evaluate the apps available online. There seems to be no cheaper option for this simple task we want accomplish.

Thank you,

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1738 48 156

@Nethangi wrote:

There seems to be no cheaper option for this simple task we want accomplish.

Saying something is simple doesn't make it so,  but it can 100% make the solution more difficult to find by dismissing the detail involved.

If your on the enterprise plan, shopify plus, the checkout scripts feature may be able to do this.

But what exactly your trying to accomplish isn't clear either a quantity break, or a subscription plan, etc; discounts might not even be the right fit. 

If you just want larger purchases to be cheaper per item and inventory isn't an issue, you can just have different priced products|variants with a theme customization to only display them when the quantities are right.

@Nethangi wrote:

is there a way that i don't have to specify Y or something similar to get the above accomplished?

Trying to sidestep manually specifying something indicates needing a general automation tool, custom app, or a discount app that somehow can apply your custom business rules.

Why can't you specify Y? A more concrete example might show different approaches like quantity breaks.

*Edit: If do you prepare an detailed example, then mail it out to all the discount apps you've shortlisted to crowdsource a possible solution|specific-answer faster.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1738 48 156

Lol shopify also just released fixed & percentage automatic discount https://community.shopify.com/c/Shopify-Discussion/New-types-of-automatic-discounts/m-p/511639

@TyW wrote:

. We've increased your options by introducing new types of automatic discounts: percentage off, and fixed amount off.

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 1

Hi @PaulNewton : i have been using this discount interface heavily for the past week, and i think i saw this feature already available in the automatic discount section. This didn't solve my problem though.

we want to create a pricing structure fpr product A as:

Buy 1 - $10

Buy2 or more at $4 afterwards with in the same order.

Lets say a person wants to buy 4 items of product A, then his order total would be $22(10+4+4+4) for the order. I hope I'm clear now. we can consider it as a bulk discount scenario. 

About the comment:

If you just want larger purchases to be cheaper per item and inventory isn't an issue, you can just have different priced products|variants with a theme customization to only display them when the quantities are right.

Yes, inventory is not an issue for us. We can't modify our checkout page as we are on advanced shopify account.  I like the idea "update cart". Thank you so much for that. On cart load, I could inspect the quantities and inject the discounted product if it meets my criteria. But then there is the  "Update" button for quantities in the cart page. Which function should i override to inspect the cart again and update the product composition? I hope I'm on right track.

Thanks again Paul

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
1738 48 156

@Nethangi wrote:

Buy2 or more at $4 afterwards with in the same order.

Lets say a person wants to buy 4 items of product A, then his order total would be $22(10+4+4+4) for the order. I hope I'm clear now. we can consider it as a bulk discount scenario. 

Ahhh umm that $22(10+4+4+4)  where the first stays the same price, i'll have to consider that.

@Nethangi wrote:

On cart load, I could inspect the quantities and inject the discounted product if it meets my criteria. But then there is the  "Update" button for quantities in the cart page. Which function should i override to inspect the cart again and update the product composition? I hope I'm on right track.

That varies wildly by theme but is often some form of update_cart, or the html elements(buttons) have function in the onscript attribute, or it just submits(POST/GET) the form to the carts update|change|add endpoints.

Remember you may have to queue the requests synchronously  in javascript

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 1

@PaulNewton Thank you for your support all the way... To anyone who is interested, I achieved this functionality using variants and with the help of tags and minor template changes to remove the quantity from checkout and stop automatic cart quantity increase.  Our quantities are quite predictable, so this solution works... It gets the job done and i don't have to pay for apps.. 

2.JPG3.JPG

1 Like
Shopify Partner
1738 48 156

@Nethangi wrote:

... To anyone who is interested, I achieved this functionality using variants and with the help of tags and minor template changes to remove the quantity from checkout and stop automatic cart quantity increase.e, so this solution works... It gets the job done and i don't have to pay for apps.. 

Ah okay that's a quantity breaks setup using variant options. Going the other way with discounts is a bit tricker.

Keep in mind with this that 1 Option slot is permanently used doing this and adding more Options can make inventory go weird.

So if you need to then add 3 options Color, Flavor, Size, etc you wont be able to unless "Quantity-Option" is removed.

However if those options dont actually affect price or inventory you'll probably be able to use line item properties to get around that.

Another common trick is to make difference priced products and sew them together like variants in the theme.

0 Likes
Tourist
13 0 1

@PaulNewton : yes i see the path you are describing... but ours is more light use of shopify to manage a couple of simple transactions to become PCI compliant... Thank you for the deep insight, i would definitely try this approach if we ever had to use more options... 

0 Likes