Discount for new users only

Solved
Highlighted
Excursionist
36 0 4

I've been reading all the posts, but have a question about new users and discounts.

When a user signs up for the newsletter, they are sent to my MailChimp which sends them out an automatic email thanking them.  In that email, I want to give new users ONLY a discount off their first order.  Is that possible?  Can I make it so that that code, per user, is only used once???

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
85 4 17

This is an accepted solution.

Hi There,

When setting up the discount code, you can limit it to be used once per customer.

Have you tried that?

Jay Friedmann | Developer @ Swiss Media
- Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
0 Likes
Highlighted

Hey @pambesteder,

I've created an app that solves exactly the problem you described. 

You can get it here: https://apps.shopify.com/personal-discount

Thanks,
Lukasz

I'm a software engineer. I make things happen automatically.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
36 0 4

Thank you Jay, I'll do that.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
36 0 4

Hey, that's great.  I'll check out the link.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
335 32 125

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @pambesteder!

This is May from Shopify. Welcome to our Shopify Community!

These are all great suggestions! Like Jay mentioned above, you can do this in your admin, but I'd like to add a few things. You can create a custom customer group on your admin for new customers and customers that are on your mailing list. Then, you can create a discount code that applies only to this group! Here's how to do this:

1. From your admin, go to 'Customers'.

2. Besides the search bar, click 'Filter > Select a filter > Accepts email marketing' below this dropdown, you'll see another dropdown appears 'Select a value > Yes > Add filter'

3. Now, you'll want to add another filter to filter out new customers. Similar to step 2, click 'Filter > Select a filter > Number of orders', for the value, you'll want to select 'equal to > 0', then 'Add filter'.

4. Click 'Save search' and you can name this custom search, for example 'New email subscribers'.

Here's a short video to show you the steps above in action!

Now, let's create the discount and use this new customer group! As a side note, in this tutorial, we'll be focusing on how to ensure that only new customers who subscribe to your email marketing are eligible for the discount. You can set up the other sections of the discount however you'd like 🙂

1. From your admin, go to 'Discounts > Create discount code'.

2. Under 'Customer eligibility', you'll want to select 'Specific group of customers' and search for the group you created previously.

3. Under 'Usage limits', select 'Limit to one use per customer'.

4. After you set up the rest of your discount conditions, click 'Save'.

Click here for a video tutorial on the steps above.

And that is it, you've created a discount code that applies to customers in your mailing list, and only for their first order. Let me know if this helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Cheers!

May | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
6 0 0

@May and this applies only to the built-in email marketing option of Shopify? or it will also automatically be cascaded if I integrate MailChimp on my Shopify site?

0 Likes