Discounts: How do we exclude products?

Shopify Partner
165 2 124

We'd like to offer a lifetime discount to VIPs but in order to make that work, we need to exclude factory seconds.

How do we make a discount work for all products, and exclude two of them?

Currently, it looks like we have to update the code everytime single time we add a product to the store - is that correct?

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
465 56 113

Hey, cmscss.

I'm Lizzy, one of the Gurus on the support team at Shopify.

There isn't currently an option to exclude items from a discount code within the Shopify admin. That being said, you can use an automated collection to make the discount exclude a few products.

The way this would work is that you would create an automated collection with the conditions being "Product Title" and "is not equal to" with the titles of your factory seconds. 

This will create a collection with every item in your store, except for the items excluded from the discount. Then, when you create your discount code you can just apply it to the collection you've built. With this method, when you add new products to your store, they will automatically get added to the collection and be included in the discount. As long as they don't match one of the exclusion conditions.

There are also a few apps in our app store, which would give you a bit more flexibility with discounts. I've linked a couple of them below for you to check out!

Discount Ninja
Bulk Discounts

If you have any other questions about what I've said, please let me know. You can give us a call too or start a live chat at any time. We're here 24/7!

Thank you, 

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

2 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 3

Hi! I found this when I was searching for a solution to the same issue and was wondering if it still works if keep that collection "hidden" on your site, i.e. unavailable on all sales channels? I don't want to add more collections visually on the site, but need this workaround.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 3

This is insane being that there are plenty of apps with Rewards programs that auto generate coupon codes. There is no way to exclude a single product from these randomly generated coupons. We need an option to exclude a product from all coupons in general. Why doesn't shopify have a solution for this yet?

3 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I completely agree, its such a common thing on stores to only want customers to use one type of discount available and the work arounds are so time consuming and open to human error. Shopify need to look into this one!

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 27

It's actually pretty crazy. We used to be with Big Commerce, and we'd be able to create a discount, and 'exclude' products from being discounted, so the discount simply would apply to everything in the cart except those that are excluded.

In shopify, they don't have this option, so you have to select the collections/products that are included in the discount, which is super time consuming and annoying. And for those that are not included in the discount, you do not select.

BUT, and this is the craziest part....the discount will NOT apply at all if a non-discounted item is in the cart. In other words, the discount will not work at all if you have an item in the cart that is not included in the discount.

For example, if you want all bikes to get a $20 discount, but NOT accessories that you buy separately, like bike racks, for example. So if there is a bike in the cart, and you add a bike rack to the cart also, the shopify discount feature is not intelligent enough to discount the bike only.

Like, really? And shopify somehow beat Big Commerce in ecommerce stores?

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 3

This is crazy, it's a very simple fix and should be implemented right away, we came from Big Commerce and I assumed (wrongly) that a simple essential feature like this would come on every kind of ecommerce platform.

3 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
24 0 27

You came from BC recently? I left them in 2016 on the advice from my dev...i realise now that he just wanted his job tove easier since there's limited customising due to apps doing the hard work, which ends up costing you far more. I was also promised we wouldn't lose backlinks etc, but as the url structure is different, we lost almost all of them, even with the redirects. Sales dropped and we've never recovered. And the discount issue also means that we lose sales due to limited ways we can apply them to products. 

We make zero profit on one of the items we offer, as it is an add-on to our core item. So because of Shopify's limited abilities, the add-on must be discounted for the core item to be also. We obviously cannot afford this, so we can't run alot of the promo's we'd like to (ie: get 20% off X item for two days only!) because they literally *won't * get 20% off the item if the add-on is included! So we have to discount the add-on also, and lose out, or not offer a promo at all. 

So really,  Shopify are actually out there to murder our sales and ruin businesses, and they're good at it!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
1 0 0

Perhaps Shopify has corrected this issue recently because I enabled this exact method for product exclusion via an automated collection for discounts and it worked perfectly. I tested it by adding two excluded items to my cart along with an included item, and the discount only applied to the included item. Here's a screenshot-

Screen Shot 2020-04-29 at 11.31.31 AM.png

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

Hello,

Will this method work if the item exists in more than one collection? I've followed the steps, but the items appear to still receive the discount. I was wondering if this is because the item belongs to two other collections?

Thanks!

1 Like