Discrepancy between GA and Shopify sales

Highlighted
23 0 0

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on why I have such a signficant difference between sales numbers in GA Enhanced Ecommerce reporting and Shopify for the same period. For the last week, revenue in Shopify was double that in GA. I expect slight differences but not this much. I've checked the time zone and both are set to NZT. 

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,

Holly 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
409 35 86

Hi, Holly!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

While there are some known analytics discrepancies between Shopify Analytics and Google Analytics, the difference between your conversions in Google Analytics and Shopify may be due to a few other reasons. 

The most common reason for inaccurate data is when merchants have added multiple tracking tags. For example, if you have a tracking tag entered in Online Store > Preferences, and one inserted into the of HTML/CSS of your theme's theme.liquid file, then this could cause inaccurate reporting. To determine if this is the case, you could compare the tracking tag entered in Preferences with any tracking tags added in your theme's code; the only tracking tag that should exist is the one entered in Preferences. You could also use the Tag Assistant Chrome extension, which will scan your website and report any issues and errors that you can act upon. 

Another common reason for this type of discrepancy is extra code that has been entered in the Additional Scripts section in Online Store > Preferences in the Shopify admin. If you have added additional code to this section, then I recommend removing it; the only code here should be the Google Analytics tracking tag that begins with UA-

Lastly, if orders are processed outside of the Online Store sales channel, and instead through a third-party checkout (most commonly, this occurs with subscription apps like ReCharge and Bold Subscriptions), then this could result in no conversion data for those particular orders in Google Analytics. This is because those apps do not redirect customers back to the Shopify "Thank You" page after their order is processed, meaning that no conversion is captured. Are you using any apps that would process orders through a third-party checkout? 

Once you have had a chance to see if there is an additional tracking tag in your theme's code, or if you have any additional code in the Additional Scripts section in your Online Store > Preferences, please let me know what you find! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
23 0 0

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, so helpful!

I've had a look through the theme.liquid file and the GA tag is the same as the one in Preferences. Is this correct or should it not be in the code at all?

We don't have any third party apps except for Afterpay and Laybuy (where the transaction is counted within our website) and there is no extra code in the Preferences section.

Thanks again,

Holly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Hi Holly,

As Afterpay redirects customers away from your website (similar to Paypal), you need to tell Google Analytics that Afterpay is not the source of the traffic. 

e.g. Customer Searches Google -> Product Page -> Cart Page ->Checkout -> Afterpay (portal.afterpay.com) -> Shopify Confirmation

In the above example, GA will. think portal.afterpay.com is the source of the traffic, not the google search, so you will need to put it on your no-referrer.  

Unfortunately, I don't think this will explain the difference in revenue as GA should still count all of these conversions from the Shopify Confirmation page.

See: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830#:~:text=payment

0 Likes
Highlighted
23 0 0

Hi there,

Thanks I have added Afterpay and Laybuy to the referral exclusions list. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
409 35 86

No problem, Holly! 

Thanks for providing me with a bit more information. I'm glad to hear that you have followed @williamb's advice and added both LayBuy and AfterPay to the referrer exclusion list. They are also correct in that Google Analytics will only count conversions if the user is directed back to Shopify's order confirmation page. After a transaction is processed via LayBuy or AfterPay, does the customer get redirected back to this page? If not, then it won't record as a conversion in Google Analytics, which could be the cause. Since you have added these two sources to the referrer exclusion list, have you noticed any discrepancies in conversions tracked between Shopify and Google Analytics?

Also, have you had a chance to use the Tag Assistant Chrome extension? This will also tell you if there are any hidden tracking tags within your theme's code. Since it can be easy to overlook this while manually reviewing your theme's code files, using this tool would be a good idea. It will also tell you exactly which tags are being used; if there is more than one tag and this one differs from the one you have in Preferences, then you can search for it within your theme's code. In fact, there's another handy Chrome extension called Shopify Theme Search by Bold that makes it incredibly easy to conduct searches across all Shopify theme files. 

I'm curious to know if adding AfterPay and LayBuy to the referrer exclusion list has made a difference, and if the Tag Assistant tool returns any information about there being more than one tag present. Let me know what you find!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

After a transaction is processed via LayBuy or AfterPay, does the customer get redirected back to this page?

I can confirm that Afterpay (www.afterpay.com) returns the customer to the regular Shopify confirmation page so all conversion will be counted.

1 Like
Highlighted
23 0 0

Hi there,

I've installed the tag assistant tool and can't find any other references to google analytics in the code. Also, because GA is showing less revenue than Shopify I'm assuming it's not tracking all purchases, rather than tracking purchases more than once if you get what I mean. So it must be not recording certain purchases. Do you have any recommendations as to why this may be?

Thanks again,

Holly

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
409 35 86

Thanks for getting back to me, Holly. 

Now that we have determined that AfterPay redirects the customer back to Shopify after the transaction has been processed, the discrepancy could be from LayBuy. After a transaction is processed via LayBuy, does the customer get redirected back to this page? If not, then it won't record as a conversion in Google Analytics, which could be the cause. It could also not record the conversion if the customer navigated away from the payment page immediately after the order was processed, without letting their browser send them back to Shopify's order confirmation page.

Another potential reason for this discrepancy is that Google can only count visitors with JavaScript and cookies enabled. Some visitors might not allow cookies or JavaScript, which would mean that these sessions wouldn't be recorded. Some customers can also use browser extensions to block Google Analytics from tracking their sessions and purchases, which could also be playing a factor here.

With some more information about which sales seem to be missing from your Google Analytics reports, we could rule out some other potential causes. Are you noticing any patterns around which orders seem to be missing? Which payment gateways are these orders processed on? How many orders seem to be missing at this point?

0 Likes