Displaying company names in shopify admin instead of the individuals names

Admin11
1 0 0

Just sharing the workaround i used to do this so other B2B sites can use it :)

This workaround works for new customers but you will need to go through your current customers and move the names into the correct fields.

It's also a good idea to make a duplicate of your theme to test it on first.

Go to online store>themes>actions>edit languages

Click on the customer tab

Hit ctrl f to open up the search box and search name

Use the arrows to go through the whole sheet and where it says "first name" type "Business Name" (or company name etc) into the box  and where it says "last name" type in "Contact Name" into the box

When your finished click save, Go to the checkout & system tab and repeat the step above. Save

Go to admin/settings/checkout and scroll down to form options

If you want the business name to be required click first and last name required, if you want the business name to be optional click require last name only.

Under company name click hidden.

Save.

It shows up as Business Name Persons Name 

0 Likes
bblack
1 0 0

Thanks for this article because this has been very difficult assistance to get.  This is exactly what I need, but your workaround didn't work for me properly.  Could you advise based on the screen shots attached if I did this correctly?

Much appreciated!

0 Likes
HandHugs
Shopify Expert
158 0 34

you need to scroll down more and change the input titles for the section titled "Register" (not the addresses area)

@bblack wrote:

Thanks for this article because this has been very difficult assistance to get.  This is exactly what I need, but your workaround didn't work for me properly.  Could you advise based on the screen shots attached if I did this correctly?

Much appreciated!

0 Likes
michael-helium
Shopify Expert
177 1 107

This is simpler to manage using the Customer Fields app. We have ~3000 B2B businesses using the app to organize customers by company name.

You can ask for the customer's company name during registration and easily see company name in the app's customer directory, which offers advanced filters & segmentation compared to /admin/customers. (The data is also saved to Shopify metafields which allows you to use it in more places if necessary).

You could also save customer segments for business/wholesale and/or retail customers, and configure the columns to only display relevant data for each group!

Michael | Business Development @ Helium
Helium builds apps that merchants depend on:
- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu
0 Likes
sivainguva
11 0 0

Hi all, I wanted the company name to be displayed in the customer overview section , how do we do that.

login to shopify admin -> customers tab on the left-> select any of the customer from the list -> on the right side the customer overview section.

How do we display the company name there.

0 Likes
michael-helium
Shopify Expert
177 1 107

@sivainguva 

The customer view page in the Shopify Admin is not editable. The company name shows in the 'default address' section as seen here.

- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu
0 Likes
sivainguva
11 0 0

@michael-helium Thanks for the reply , Any way we can add another field in edit customer as company name and make it mandatory , we wanted the company name here as a default option .

0 Likes
michael-helium
Shopify Expert
177 1 107

Consider checking out the Customer Fields app.

You can add "company name" to your registration form as required as well as any other fields needed.

The app offers a customizable 'customer overview' section so you can personalize it your needs.

- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu
0 Likes
sivainguva
11 0 0

@michael-helium  thanks for that i will check out the app, also i have one more question

I am pretty new with the shopify development we are current getting alerts from shopify to upate the API Version , currently we are using 2019-04 and we wanted to move to 2020-01 and above , but i think we are using the page based pagination which is not available in any API versions above 2019-07 , how do we switch to cursor-based pagination i am not able to find where we need to do the changes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

0 Likes
michael-helium
Shopify Expert
177 1 107

@sivainguva you're welcome!

That second question is outside my area of expertise. You may want to begin a new thread in the forum.

- Customer Fields
- Meteor Mega Menu
0 Likes