Divide my store into sub-stores that share a single Cart & Checkout

Highlighted
15 0 0

hi I have a store which is doing well.  I'm thinking about adding a few other 'verticals' or categories.  They are distinct enough that I want these categories to have their own 'store' that is separate, but I want to keep it all under one domain and one shopping cart since really the products are all related and the customers overlap between these categories.

example: 123inkcartridges.ca  -- At the top of the page there is a menu with four or five stores such as http://www.photogear.com/  They are all under one store 'family.'  The customer gets a single Shopping Cart and a single Checkout even if they have chosen items from different stores. 

I'm thinking my store Theme would be the same across all sub-stores except the colours/logo would change to show the customer which sub-store he is in.

Navigation menus would be distinct.  The only connection between mini-stores is a button at the top that switches you to another category. Any products added to cart go to a single unified shopping cart.

Any ideas how I would implement that?  I'm guessing i need a theme coder?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
69 1 7

Hey Zach, 

David here, Shopify Guru.

To have different theme styling (logos, colours, etc.) across the different areas of the website, is something that would require some coding. 

Using different Theme templates, you could have a different design choice for each of the products, collections and pages for example. Here is our template reference sheet.

As I mentioned, this could be possible in a way through some coding, you would have the singular checkout as it's all under the one Shopify Store, though it would take some coding to achieve it. 

I would suggest reaching out to a Shopify Expert here. 

Have a nice weekend! 
David W | Shopify Guru 

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Zach, I am having the same issue right now. I am thinking of having 3 Shops all under one Umbrella Shop but they need to be distinct and I would prefer it that people only need to sign up to one site and have one cart instead of 3 sites. Did you find a solution to your issue?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

This is exactly what I am looking to do - has anyone found anything out? Sharing the cart is the biggest thing!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Zach,

Did you ever fins a way to do this through Shopify. trying to figure this out myself right now. thanks!!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Zach,

We're experiencing the same pain points / issues...

Did you ever find a solution to your question/problem?

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

@Zach18 curious how this played out for you as I'm in a similar situation. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
1418 0 0

I hired a shopify-affiliated solutions provider and they did a hack where they installed Algolia search and used Tags on products to differentiate which products would appear in search results depending on what 'substore' the customer was inside of (set by a cookie stored on the customer's device).  It sort of worked but was tricky to manage the collections and tags to ensure that all the right products were appearing in each store. A year later we went to magento where I implemented a multi-store setup and that was somewhat disastrous.  If I could do it again I would simply implement a mega-menu for each top-level category, and search filters, to achieve a similar result.

Highlighted
4 0 0

@Zack_M oh wow. Much appreciated for sharing your experience. Going to research the best way to get this type of store structure. Thanks again!

0 Likes