Solved

Is a VAT number necessary for a Netherlands-based business?

MCrufix
Visitor
3 0 0

I personally live in the USA and I have a business that's based in the Netherlands. I'm 90% sure I need a VAT number.

This is just to confirm whether I actually need to register for one or not.

Accepted Solution (1)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @MCrufix,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

I spoke to our tax team directly to gain more insight into this for you. They mentioned we can't give specific tax advice on a specific region to where you are based, but more advice on how to use and set up your tax settings. You can see more about setting up your tax settings for within the EU here and the USA here. From experience, it seems more likely to pay taxes to the country where your business is registered which is the Netherlands for you. I would advise you to reach out to a local tax expert or accountant to find out what taxes you need to look into for your store.

I hope that helps and points you in the right direction for the next steps! 

Thanks, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 2 (2)

Nick
Shopify Staff (Retired)
4531 434 1025

This is an accepted solution.

Hi @MCrufix,

Nick here from Shopify. Great question! 

I spoke to our tax team directly to gain more insight into this for you. They mentioned we can't give specific tax advice on a specific region to where you are based, but more advice on how to use and set up your tax settings. You can see more about setting up your tax settings for within the EU here and the USA here. From experience, it seems more likely to pay taxes to the country where your business is registered which is the Netherlands for you. I would advise you to reach out to a local tax expert or accountant to find out what taxes you need to look into for your store.

I hope that helps and points you in the right direction for the next steps! 

Thanks, Nick

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

BiancaBlake
Excursionist
34 0 15

We assist U.S. companies with VAT registration and all VAT services needed for selling in the UK and EU. Nick how can I get in touch with someone at Shopify to share our information? We have been in business 25+ years and have a ton of relevant VAT information on our website. We are also sending an "ecommerce new VAT rules" newsletter next week. Who do I talk to at Shopify please? Thank you Bianca at Euro VAT Refund