Do I really need a fancy eCommerce website?

Solved
Tourist
3 0 0

Do I really need a fancy eCommerce website? 

After visiting many major company websites that are in the women's clothing category I keep seeing the same thing. They don't have fancy websites (no parallax scrolling or other bells and whistles).

What they do have are nice images, complementing colors, easy to read font and are usually well laid out.

It seems to me the more fancy things a website has going on the more chances are of something eventually not working right.

Maybe I answered my own question, I don't know. Anyone else have any thoughts???

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
36 7 34

I believe a simple, user-friendly website is harder to achieve than one that has lot's of features just piled together. 

Personal Shopify Development for $40 an hour. Contact me by private message or by email at info@kenkinneen.com
1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
9542 28 1310

I've seen nothing that suggests parallax scrolling is something that increases conversion. I also doubt - from experience - that customers even care about such things. For some devices parallax scrolling can even impact on the responsiveness (speed) of scrolling the pages. Certainly for older phones and devices. When done right it can be a lovely visual experience but when starting out it's not going to be the thing to focus on.

Put your effort into content instead. Fancy visual features can come later if you deem your demographic demands it.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
1 Like
Tourist
3 0 0

Thanks for your reply Jason. That's what I thought. It amazes me how many people still sink time and money into top notch, snazzy retail websites, only to end up asking the same question 'why am I not making sales?'. I am guessing you are a designer...is it possible to see some of your work? :)

0 Likes

Success.

Shopify Expert
9542 28 1310

I totally get it. Starting out gives you a million things to do - one being the design of the site.

For some shops having the "perfect" looking site is going to be key as it ties into marketing efforts, or it's just what those customers expect. For others shops the design won't be as important. If you understand your market and customer base, you should at least be able to make some guesses at what to focus on until you have enough data to know for sure.

That said, you don't want the shop looking unattractive or confusing so there's a balance. If you're building a "brand" then it must at least be a solid consideration. Starting with a decent theme from the Theme Store will give you a good head start. 

I've seen stores that I thought were super poorly designed but they still did many millions a year. They knew what their customers cared about and a pretty shop certainly wasn't part of it.

And yeah - I have a design background so have seen a few things. You're welcome to look at my site if you are curious, but it is outdated and I'm not looking for work.

★ Winning Partner of the Build a Business competition. ★ http://freakdesign.com.au
0 Likes