Do i need all of the product CSV headers if im not using them?

Highlighted
1 0 0

Im a bit confused and im trying to find out if I can omit column headers from my product CSV file that I don't require? Only asking because I noticed a lot of extra headers in the sample files that aren't mentioned in the CSV articles supplied in the Help center. Also, whether they are or arent needed, can I change the order of them that way the ones I don't need at all or use that often are towards the end of the list?

Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
87 7 10

Hi, @WuDoc!

Ash here from the Shopify team. 

Welcome to the Shopify Community! I’m happy to help with your CSV inquiries.

When importing product CSV files into Shopify, it’s important to make sure the file you’re importing matches the Shopify CSV file format exactly. This means you cannot change the order of the headers from their default positions, nor remove any. From this link you can find a sample product CSV file to compare with or build off of. Here is a link to the file format in our Help Center for your reference as well. If the format doesn’t match, or if there are any missing headers, then the import will fail. 

Once your file is ready to import, head over to the "Products> All Products" section of the admin. At the top of the page there will be an ‘import’ button. Here’s a short video which shows the entire process.

CSV files can only contain text, but if you plan to import products with their product images, we have some steps on adding image URLs to a product CSV here

If you have any issues with importing your products, please let me know! I’d also love to hear more about your business and the types of products you’re selling. 

Ash | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes