Domain Transfer Time

Solved
Highlighted
3 0 1

Hello. I'm getting ready to transfer my domain name from my old hosting platform to Shopify. The instructions for transferring say the transfer can take up to 20 days to complete. During that transfer time which website will viewers be directed to (the old version or the new version on Shopify)?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1545 94 333

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @RG!

Great question! To provide some context, a domain transfer can take up to 20 days (7-10 days for a successful transfer, up to 20 for a failed transfer). Once the domain is successfully transferred, it will point to your Shopify store (typically on day 10). The domain will not experience any downtime and will continue to lead to your existing website until the transfer is complete. 

During this time, you will want to keep an eye on your email inbox, especially your spam/junk for any emails that come in from OpenSRS and/or your domain registrar. You may see up to 4+ emails during the transfer process, which can include: 

1. Transfer initiated email
  2. Billing email 
  3. Two authentication emails 
  4. Transfer Succesful/failed email

Alternatively, you can also choose to point your domain to Shopify by updating the "A" record and "Cname" record by following the steps here. DNS changes can take up to 24 hours to take effect and would keep your domain with your current registrar (i.e. they would look after the billing aspect). 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
3 0 1

Thank you Peter! That was exactly what I needed. 

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

How many days does it take to transfer a domain from Shopify to a new hosting site?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1545 94 333

@TheConscious 

Domain transfers can take between 10-20 days when transferring to, or away from Shopify. 

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thanks @Peter for the explanation. I am in a similar situation and have further questions.

I was about to transfer the domain over to Shopify but did not realize the domain transfer could take 7-10 days and up to 20 days. We are about to launch a new product in a few days and would want visitors to only shop from the Shopify site. Can I initiate the domain transfer, and meanwhile point our domain to Shopify? That way, no matter at what point of the domain transfer (within that 20 days), when visitors type in our domain, they will get to our Shopify site to shop. Is my assumption correct?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1545 94 333

@helen-sonmusic 

I'm not entirely sure but my gut says that should work. Based on the internal information I have, I know that the domain will not go offline during the transfer process, and should only see a brief interruption once the transfer is being finalized. Given that, you should be able to point your domain to Shopify, while you transfer it to Shopify to keep it operational until the transfer is complete. 

0 Likes