Solved

How can I change my old domain name on Zendrop?

AngelEva
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi, when I first made an account I came up with some stupid name to get started until I actually thought of one. I hadnt bought the domain or "secured" it by any means. When I finally did come up with a name, I changed the store name and bought a domain but its still requiring I use the old name to log in to Zendrop and hasnt changed the domain address either. Going into domain settings it says the old name and current name are both connected. Do I need to wait it out, or can I remove the old one? Its not giving me an options to click on it or manage it.

Accepted Solution (1)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 286

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @AngelEva. Welcome to the Community, and thanks for starting this topic. Domains on Shopify can be confusing to understand at first. Let me explain!

When you create a Shopify account using a particular business name, that name becomes the .myshopify.com domain name for your store. This url is specific to your account and cannot be changed, even if you update the store name in ‘Settings > General’, and so will always be used when logging in. To be able to have a different .myshopify.com url associated with your store, you would need to create a brand new account using the desired business name upon sign up.

However, you can "hide" your .myshopify.com url by using a custom domain! As you’ve determined, you can purchase a custom domain name from Shopify, or connect one from a third party hosting site. You will see both listed on your domains page when going to ‘Online Store > Domains’

Your customers on the other hand, will only see and use the domain name that is set as your primary domain. Once your custom domain is set as the primary domain, only you will know what the .myshopify.com url is; It will remain to show in your browser bar when you are logged into your admin, and you’ll use it when logging in and authenticating your account. However, on your storefront, only your custom domain will be visible. Does that make sense?

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 286

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @AngelEva. Welcome to the Community, and thanks for starting this topic. Domains on Shopify can be confusing to understand at first. Let me explain!

When you create a Shopify account using a particular business name, that name becomes the .myshopify.com domain name for your store. This url is specific to your account and cannot be changed, even if you update the store name in ‘Settings > General’, and so will always be used when logging in. To be able to have a different .myshopify.com url associated with your store, you would need to create a brand new account using the desired business name upon sign up.

However, you can "hide" your .myshopify.com url by using a custom domain! As you’ve determined, you can purchase a custom domain name from Shopify, or connect one from a third party hosting site. You will see both listed on your domains page when going to ‘Online Store > Domains’

Your customers on the other hand, will only see and use the domain name that is set as your primary domain. Once your custom domain is set as the primary domain, only you will know what the .myshopify.com url is; It will remain to show in your browser bar when you are logged into your admin, and you’ll use it when logging in and authenticating your account. However, on your storefront, only your custom domain will be visible. Does that make sense?

AngelEva
Visitor
2 0 0

Oh okay that makes sense, thank you!

Helen
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1425 174 286

You’re welcome, @AngelEva! I’m happy I was able to clarify it for you. How is the rest of your store set up coming along?

Albercook
Tourist
5 0 0

I have a similar question and you almost answered it. I have set up the custom domain and it is connected, and the DNS settings were changed some time back. So all that I did was change the default URL with the .myshopify.com to "Routing domain for Online Store" and changed my custom domain to "Primary for Online Store." It would seem that this change should not have to propagate through the DNS system because I assume that it happens on Shopify servers. 

If I open an incognito browser and clear the cache for good measure and type in my custom URL the home page of my Shopify store comes up with the custom URL but if I go to any other page the URL with the myshopify.com shows up. Even if I go back to the home page it still says myshopify.com and the default URL assigned originally.  What am I missing